National Film Act
R.S.C., 1985, c. N-8
An Act respecting the National Film Board
Marginal note:Short title
- R.S., c. N-7, s. 1.
2. In this Act,
« Office »
“Board” means the National Film Board established by section 4;
« commissaire »
“Commissioner” means the Government Film Commissioner appointed under section 16;
« département »
“department” means any department or board of the Government of Canada and any agent of Her Majesty in right of Canada;
« film »
“film” means motion pictures, still photographs, photographic displays, filmstrips and such other forms of visual presentation as consist primarily of photographs or photographic reproductions;
« activité filmique »
“film activity” means any activity in relation to the production, distribution, projection or exhibition of film;
« ministre »
“Minister” means such member of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada as is designated by the Governor in Council as the Minister for the purposes of this Act.
- R.S., c. N-7, s. 2;
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 17, s. 17.
RESPONSIBILITY OF MINISTER
Marginal note:Responsibility of Minister
3. For the purposes of this Act and subject to its provisions, the Minister shall control and direct the operations of the National Film Board.
- R.S., c. N-7, s. 3.
NATIONAL FILM BOARD
Marginal note:National Film Board
4. (1) There is hereby established a National Film Board, consisting of
(a) the Commissioner, who shall be Chairperson, and six other members, to be appointed by the Governor in Council; and
(b) the executive director of Telefilm Canada.
Marginal note:Tenure of office
(2) Each member of the Board, other than the Commissioner and the executive director of Telefilm Canada, holds office for three years, but may be removed for cause by the Governor in Council.
(3) A retiring member of the Board is eligible for re-appointment.
Marginal note:Casual vacancy
(4) When, before the end of the term for which a member of the Board was appointed, the member ceases to be a member thereof, the Governor in Council shall appoint a person to be a member of the Board for the remainder of that term.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-8, s. 4;
- 1995, c. 29, s. 57;
- 2002, c. 17, s. 14.
- Date modified: