Marginal note:Liability for patent infringement
55. (1) A person who infringes a patent is liable to the patentee and to all persons claiming under the patentee for all damage sustained by the patentee or by any such person, after the grant of the patent, by reason of the infringement.
Marginal note:Liability damage before patent is granted
(2) A person is liable to pay reasonable compensation to a patentee and to all persons claiming under the patentee for any damage sustained by the patentee or by any of those persons by reason of any act on the part of that person, after the application for the patent became open to public inspection under section 10 and before the grant of the patent, that would have constituted an infringement of the patent if the patent had been granted on the day the application became open to public inspection under that section.
Marginal note:Patentee to be a party
(3) Unless otherwise expressly provided, the patentee shall be or be made a party to any proceeding under subsection (1) or (2).
Marginal note:Deemed action for infringement
(4) For the purposes of this section and sections 54 and 55.01 to 59, any proceeding under subsection (2) is deemed to be an action for the infringement of a patent and the act on which that proceeding is based is deemed to be an act of infringement of the patent.
- R.S., 1985, c. P-4, s. 55;
- R.S., 1985, c. 33 (3rd Supp.), s. 21;
- 1993, c. 15, s. 48.
- Date modified: