Marginal note:Execution of returns, etc.
31. A return or other document made under this Act by a person that is not an individual shall be signed on behalf of the person by an individual duly authorized to do so by the person or the governing body of the person. If the person is a corporation or an association that has duly elected or appointed officers, the president, vice-president, secretary and treasurer, or other equivalent officers, of the corporation or association, are deemed to be so duly authorized.
Marginal note:Extension of time
32. (1) The Minister may at any time extend, in writing, the time for filing a return or providing information under this Act.
Marginal note:Effect of extension
(2) If the Minister extends the time within which a person is required to file a return or provide information under subsection (1),
(a) the return shall be filed, or the information shall be provided, within the time so extended;
(b) any amount payable that the person is required to report in the return shall be paid within the time so extended;
(c) any interest payable under section 34 on the amount referred to in paragraph (b) shall be calculated as though the amount were required to be paid on the day on which the extended time expires; and
(d) any penalty payable under section 64 in respect of the return shall be calculated as though the return were required to be filed on the day on which the extended time expires.
Marginal note:Demand for return
33. The Minister may, by a demand served personally or sent by mail, require a person to file, within any reasonable time that may be stipulated in the demand, a return under this Act for any reporting period that is designated in the demand.
Marginal note:Compound interest on amounts not paid when required
34. (1) If a person fails to pay an amount to the Receiver General as and when required under this Act, the person shall pay to the Receiver General interest on the amount. The interest shall be compounded daily at the specified rate and computed for the period beginning on the first day after the day on or before which the amount was required to be paid and ending on the day on which the amount is paid.
Marginal note:Payment of interest that is compounded
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), interest that is compounded on a particular day on an unpaid amount of a person is deemed to be required to be paid by the person to the Receiver General at the end of the particular day, and, if the person has not paid the interest so computed by the end of the day after the particular day, the interest shall be added to the unpaid amount at the end of the particular day.
Marginal note:Period when interest not payable
(3) Despite any other provision of this Act, if the Minister notifies a person that the person is required to pay a specified amount under this Act and the person pays the specified amount in full before the end of the period that the Minister specifies in the notice, interest is not payable on the specified amount for the period.
Marginal note:Interest and penalty amounts of $25 or less
(4) If, at any time, a person pays an amount not less than the total of all amounts, other than interest and a penalty payable under section 64, owing at that time to Her Majesty in right of Canada under this Act for a reporting period and the total amount of interest and penalty payable by the person under this Act for that reporting period is not more than $25, the Minister may cancel the interest and penalty.
- Date modified: