Marginal note:Measures for protection
8. The Minister may, in cooperation with one or more provincial governments having an interest therein, take such measures as the Minister deems necessary for the protection of any species of wildlife in danger of extinction.
- R.S., 1985, c. W-9, s. 8;
- 1994, c. 23, s. 10(F).
ACQUISITION OF LANDS
Marginal note:Acquisition of Lands
9. (1) The Governor in Council may authorize the Minister to lease any lands, or purchase or acquire any lands or any interests or rights in any lands, for the purpose of research, conservation and interpretation in respect of
(a) migratory birds; or
(b) with the agreement of the government of the province having an interest therein, other wildlife.
(2) Lands or interests or rights in lands purchased or acquired under subsection (1) shall not be disposed of, and no person shall use or occupy the lands, except under the authority of this Act or the regulations.
Marginal note:Disposition or lease of lands
(3) The Minister may authorize the disposition or lease of lands purchased or acquired under subsection (1) if, in the opinion of the Governor in Council, the disposition or lease is compatible with wildlife research, conservation and interpretation.
- R.S., 1985, c. W-9, s. 9;
- 1994, c. 23, s. 11(F);
- 2004, c. 25, s. 115.
Marginal note:Property acquired by gift or bequest
10. Where Her Majesty has acquired any money, securities or other property by gift, bequest or otherwise for any purpose relating to wildlife, the Minister shall expend, administer or dispose of the money, securities or other property subject to the terms, if any, on which the money, securities or other property was given, bequeathed or otherwise made available to Her Majesty.
- R.S., 1985, c. W-9, s. 10;
- 1994, c. 23, s. 12(F);
- 2004, c. 25, s. 116(F).
Marginal note:Designation of wildlife officers and analysts
11. (1) The Minister may designate any person or class of persons to act as wildlife officers or analysts for the purposes of this Act and the regulations.
Marginal note:Designation of provincial government employees
(2) The Minister may not designate any person or class of persons employed by the government of a province unless that government agrees.
Marginal note:Certificate of designation
(3) Every wildlife officer and analyst must be provided with a certificate of his or her designation as a wildlife officer, or as an analyst, as the case may be, in a form approved by the Minister and, on entering any place under this Act, the officer or analyst shall, if so requested, show the certificate to the occupant or person in charge of the place.
Marginal note:Powers of peace officers
(4) For the purposes of this Act and the regulations, wildlife officers have all the powers of a peace officer, but the Minister may specify limits on those powers when designating any person or class of persons.
Marginal note:Exemptions for law enforcement activities
(5) For the purpose of investigations and other law enforcement activities under this Act, the Minister may, on any terms and conditions the Minister considers necessary, exempt wildlife officers who are carrying out duties or functions under this Act, and persons acting under their direction and control, from the application of any provision of this Act or the regulations.
(6) When a wildlife officer or an analyst is carrying out duties or functions under this Act or the regulations, no person shall
(a) knowingly make any false or misleading statement either orally or in writing to the wildlife officer or analyst; or
(b) otherwise wilfully obstruct the wildlife officer or analyst.
- R.S., 1985, c. W-9, s. 11;
- 1994, c. 23, s. 13;
- 2009, c. 14, s. 42.
- Date modified: