Territorial Land Use Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1524)

Regulations are current to 2015-11-16

Territorial Land Use Regulations

C.R.C., c. 1524


Territorial Land Use Regulations

 [Repealed, SOR/2003-126, s. 4]


 In these Regulations,


“Act” means the Territorial Lands Act; (Loi)

“Class A Permit”

“Class A Permit” means a permit issued pursuant to section 25; (permis de catégorie A)

“Class B Permit”

“Class B Permit” means a permit issued pursuant to section 27; (permis de catégorie B)


“crossing” means any bridge, causeway or structure or any embankment, cutting, excavation, land clearing or other works used or intended to be used to enable persons, vehicles or machinery to cross any stream, highway or road; (passage)

“district oil and gas conservation engineer”

“district oil and gas conservation engineer” means a conservation engineer appointed pursuant to the Oil and Gas Production and Conservation Act; (ingénieur de district pour la conservation du pétrole et du gaz)

“Dominion Geodesist”

“Dominion Geodesist” means the Dominion Geodesist and Director of the Geodetic Survey, in the Department of Energy, Mines and Resources; (géodésien fédéral)


“engineer” means, with respect to particular lands, the engineer designated by the Minister pursuant to section 4 to serve the area in which the lands are located; (ingénieur)

“geophysical survey”

“geophysical survey” means any investigation carried out on the surface of the ground to determine the nature and structure of the subsurface; (levé géophysique)


“inspector” means an inspector designated by the Minister pursuant to section 5; (inspecteur)

“land use operation”

“land use operation” means any work or undertaking on territorial lands that requires a permit; (exploitation des terres)

“letter of clearance”

“letter of clearance” means a letter issued by the engineer pursuant to section 37; (lettre d’acquittement)


“line” means a route used to give surface access to any land for the purpose of carrying out a geophysical, geological or engineering survey; (ligne de levé)


“man-day”, with respect to the use of a campsite, means the use of that campsite by one person for 24 hours; (jour-homme)


“Minister” means the Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development; (ministre)


“monument” means any post, stake, peg, mound, pit, trench or any other object, thing or device used to officially mark the boundary of any surveyed lands, or placed or established for any topographic, geodetic or cadastral purpose; (borne-signal)


“permit” means a Class A Permit or a Class B Permit; (permis)


“permittee” means the holder of a permit and includes a person engaged in a land use operation or anyone employed by a permittee to conduct a land use operation; (détenteur de permis)

“rig release date”

“rig release date” means the date on which, in the opinion of a district oil and gas conservation engineer, a well drilled for the purpose of discovering or producing oil and gas has been properly terminated; (date de renvoi de l’équipe)

“rock trenching”

“rock trenching” means any excavation carried out on a mineral claim for the purpose of obtaining geological information; (forage dans le roc)


“spud-in” means the initial penetration of the ground for the purpose of drilling an oil or gas well; (percée)


“stream” means any lake, river, pond, swamp, marsh, channel, gully, coulee or draw that continuously or intermittently contains water; (cours d’eau)

“Surveyor General”

“Surveyor General” means the Surveyor General as defined in the Canada Lands Surveys Act; (arpenteur général)

“territorial lands”

“territorial lands” means lands in the Northwest Territories that are vested in the Crown or of which the Government of Canada has power to dispose and that are under the control, management and administration of the Minister. (terres territoriales)

  • SOR/88-169, s. 1;
  • 1998, c. 14, s. 101(F);
  • SOR/2003-126, s. 5.