84. No holder of a licence to fish for salmon in Salmon Fishing Area 2 shall fish for salmon with a net of any kind in that portion of the Eagle River estuary lying upstream of a straight line joining Separation Point to Cooper’s Point unless the holder is authorized to do so as a condition of his licence.
Tagging of Salmon
85. (1) Where a person who, pursuant to these Regulations or a written permission referred to in section 4 of the Act, is authorized to fish for salmon in any of Salmon Fishing Areas 1 to 23 catches and retains a salmon, the person shall forthwith affix thereto a valid salmon tag issued to that person by the Minister, together with the licence or written permission, by firmly fastening the tag to and securely locking it on the salmon so that it cannot be removed without tampering with the lock, breaking or cutting the tag or without cutting or tearing any part of the salmon.
(2) For the purposes of subsections (1) and (4), a salmon tag is valid only for the year indicated thereon and is valid only if
(a) it bears a tag number set out in a licence or written permission authorizing the person referred to in subsection (1) to fish for salmon;
(b) the tag number is legible; and
(c) it has not been tampered with.
(3) Where, pursuant to subsection (1), a person affixes a salmon tag, he shall affix
(a) a red salmon tag where the salmon is not a grilse and is caught and retained by a person who is licensed to fish for salmon pursuant to these Regulations;
(b) a red or yellow salmon tag where the salmon is a grilse and is caught and retained by a person who is licenced to fish for salmon pursuant to these Regulations; and
(c) a brown salmon tag where the salmon is caught and retained under a written permission referred to in section 4 of the Act.
(d) [Repealed, SOR/93-337, s. 3]
(3.1) Subject to subsection (5), no person shall be in possession of a salmon in Salmon Fishing Areas 1 to 14 or in the Province of Newfoundland unless the salmon is tagged in accordance with the provisions of this section.
(4) Subject to subsection (5), no person shall be in possession of a salmon in any of Salmon Fishing Areas 15 to 23 unless the salmon is tagged in accordance with these Regulations, the Maritime Provinces Fishery Regulations or the National Parks Fishing Regulations.
(4.1) Subsections (3.1) and (4) do not apply with respect to salmon caught under the authority of a licence issued under the Aboriginal Communal Fishing Licences Regulations.
(5) No person shall remove a salmon tag that is affixed to a salmon in accordance with this section except at the time the salmon is prepared for consumption.
- SOR/87-313, s. 1;
- SOR/89-268, s. 3;
- SOR/93-61, s. 30;
- SOR/93-337, s. 3.
Close Times & Areas
86. In this Part,
“flounder” means American plaice, winter flounder, witch flounder and yellowtail flounder; (plie)
“length”, in respect of a species of groundfish, means the distance measured in a straight line from the tip of the nose or, where the head has been removed, from the foremost point of the fish to the fork of the tail or, where the tail has been removed, to the end of the fish; (longueur)
- “Stock Area”
“Stock Area” means the waters referred to in a subitem of Schedule XXIII in respect of the species set out in that item. (zone de stock)
- SOR/88-231, s. 1;
- SOR/91-76, s. 3.
- Date modified: