Housekeeping and Maintenance
3.12 (1) Every stairway, walkway, ramp and passageway used by employees shall, as far as is practicable, be kept free of accumulations of ice and snow.
(2) All dust, dirt, waste and scrap material in a work place shall be removed as often as is necessary to protect the safety and health of employees and shall be disposed of in such a manner that the safety and health of employees is not compromised.
(3) Every travelled surface in a work place shall be maintained free from splinters, holes, loose boards and tiles or similar defects.
- SOR/94-165, s. 12(F).
3.13 (1) Where a floor in a work place is normally wet and employees in the work place do not use non-slip footwear, the floor shall be covered with a dry false floor or platform or treated with a non-slip material or substance.
(2) The floor in a work place shall, as far as is practicable, be kept free from oil, grease or any other slippery substance.
- SOR/94-165, s. 13.
3.14 (1) Subject to subsection (2), where a salamander or other portable open-flame heating device is used in an enclosed work place, the heating device shall not restrict a means of exit and shall be
(a) so located, protected and used that there is no hazard of igniting combustible materials adjacent to the heating device;
(b) used only when there is ventilation provided that protects the safety and health of employees; and
(c) so located as to be protected from damage or overturning.
(2) Where the heating device referred to in subsection (1) does not provide complete combustion of the fuel used in connection with it, the heating device shall be equipped with a securely supported sheet metal pipe that discharges the products of combustion outside the enclosed work place.
(3) A portable fire extinguisher that has not less than a 10B rating as defined in the ULC Standard shall be readily accessible from the location of the heating device referred to in subsection (1) when the device is in use.
- SOR/94-165, s. 14.
TEMPORARY STRUCTURES AND EXCAVATIONS
4.1 In this Part, “stage” means a working platform supported from above. (plate-forme suspendue)
4.2 This Part applies to fixed and portable ladders, to stages and scaffolds and to temporary ramps and stairs.
- SOR/94-165, s. 15(E).
4.3 No employee shall work on a temporary structure in environmental conditions that are likely to be hazardous to the safety or health of the employee, except where the work is required to remove a hazard or to rescue an employee.
4.4 Tools, equipment and materials used on a temporary structure shall be arranged or secured in such a manner that they cannot be knocked off the structure accidentally.
- Date modified: