Establishment and Organization of the Bank (continued)
Officers and Employees
Marginal note:Duties of Chairperson
8 The Chairperson shall carry out the duties determined by by-law.
Marginal note:Duties of President
9 (1) The President is the chief executive officer of the Bank and has, on behalf of the Board, responsibility for the direction and management of the business and affairs of the Bank with authority to act in all matters that are not by this Act or any by-law or resolution specifically reserved to be done by the Board or a committee of the Board.
Marginal note:Absence or incapacity
(2) If the President is absent or unable to act or the office of President is vacant, the Board may authorize an officer or employee of the Bank to act as President, but that person is not authorized to act as President for a period of more than 180 days without the approval of the Governor in Council.
- 1995, c. 28, s. 9
- 2014, c. 39, s. 214
Marginal note:Officers and employees
10 The Bank may employ the officers and employees, and may hire the agents or mandataries, advisers and consultants, it considers necessary to carry out the purpose of this Act and for the proper conduct of its business and the Bank may fix the terms and conditions of their employment or hiring.
- 1995, c. 28, s. 10
- 2011, c. 21, s. 4(E)
Marginal note:Delegation of powers and specification of duties
11 The Board may delegate power to, and specify the duties and authority of, any officer, employee or agent or mandatary of the Bank to act in all matters that are not by this Act or any by-law or resolution specifically reserved to be done by the Board or a committee of the Board.
- 1995, c. 28, s. 11
- 2011, c. 21, s. 4(E)
- 2014, c. 39, s. 215
12 All directors, officers and employees of the Bank or of any subsidiary, and all agents or mandataries, advisers and consultants whose services are engaged by the Bank or any subsidiary, must, before commencing their duties, take an oath or make a solemn affirmation of office and confidentiality in the form set out in the schedule before a commissioner of oaths or other person having authority to administer the oath or solemn affirmation in the place where it is taken or made.
- 1995, c. 28, s. 12
- 2011, c. 21, s. 4(E)
- 2014, c. 39, s. 215
Remuneration and Benefits
Marginal note:Remuneration of directors
13 (1) The Chairperson and each director, except the President and any director employed in the federal public administration, are entitled to be paid by the Bank the remuneration fixed by the Governor in Council for their time to attend meetings of the Board or any committee of the Board and to perform their duties under this Act.
Marginal note:Remuneration of President
(2) The President is entitled to be paid by the Bank the remuneration fixed by the Governor in Council.
Marginal note:Expenses of directors
(3) Directors are entitled to be paid by the Bank reasonable travel and living expenses incurred in connection with the performance of their duties under this Act while absent from their ordinary places of residence.
Marginal note:Other remuneration and expenses
(4) Officers, employees, agents or mandataries, advisers and consultants are entitled to be paid by the Bank the remuneration, expenses and benefits that the Bank may determine.
Marginal note:Pension fund
(5) The Board may make by-laws respecting
(a) the establishment, management and administration of a pension fund for the officers and employees of the Bank and their dependants;
(b) the contributions to be made to the fund by the Bank;
(c) the provision of benefits under the fund;
(d) the payment of pensions; and
(e) the investment of the money of the fund.
- 1995, c. 28, s. 13
- 2003, c. 22, s. 224(E)
- 2011, c. 21, s. 5(E)
- 2014, c. 39, s. 216(F)
Specific Powers of the Bank
Marginal note:Loans, investments, etc.
Marginal note:How services may be provided
(2) The services referred to in subsection (1) may be
Marginal note:Criteria for making loans, etc.
(3) The loans, investments and guarantees may be made or given only where, in the opinion of the Board or any committee or officer designated by the Board,
(a) the person is engaged, or is about to engage, in an enterprise in Canada;
(b) the amount invested, or to be invested, in the enterprise by persons other than the Bank and the character of the investment are such that the Bank may reasonably expect that those persons will have a continuing commitment to the enterprise; and
(c) the enterprise may reasonably be expected to prove successful.
Marginal note:Enterprises outside Canada — loans and guarantees
(4) Despite paragraph (3)(a), loans may be made to, or guarantees given in relation to, a person that is engaged or about to be engaged in an enterprise outside Canada if
(a) the person is a corporation, trust, partnership or joint venture in which at least one third of the voting interests are held by Canadians or is an association of natural persons or corporations of which at least half the members are Canadians; and
(b) at least one of the Canadians referred to in paragraph (a) is also engaged or about to be engaged in an enterprise in Canada.
Marginal note:Enterprises outside Canada — investments
(5) Despite paragraph (3)(a), investments may be made in a person that is engaged or about to be engaged in an enterprise outside Canada if
Marginal note:Funds outside Canada — investments
(6) Despite paragraph (3)(a), investments may be made in a person outside Canada if, in the opinion of the Board or any committee or officer designated by the Board,
(7) Paragraph (3)(b) does not apply
(a) to a person that is a trust, a corporation as defined in subsection 2(1) of the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act or a corporation incorporated under a provincial statute equivalent to that Act; or
(b) in the case where a loan, investment or guarantee is made or given through an arrangement referred to in paragraph (2)(b).
Marginal note:Complementary to other services
(8) The services referred to in subsection (1) are to fill out or complete services available from commercial financial institutions.
Marginal note:Acquiring and dealing with property
(9) In any circumstances in which the Bank may provide a service to a person under this section, the Bank may
(10) The following definitions apply in this section.
Canadian has the same meaning as in paragraph (a), (b) or (d) of the definition Canadian in section 3 of the Investment Canada Act. (Canadien)
- voting interest
(a) with respect to a corporation with share capital, means a voting share;
(b) with respect to a corporation without share capital, means an ownership interest in the assets of the corporation that entitles the owner to rights similar to those enjoyed by the owner of a voting share; and
(c) with respect to a partnership, trust or joint venture, means an ownership interest in the assets of the partnership, trust or joint venture that entitles the owner to receive a share of the profits and to share in the assets on dissolution. (intérêt avec droit de vote)
- 1995, c. 28, s. 14
- 2001, c. 34, s. 9(F)
- 2011, c. 21, s. 6
- 2014, c. 39, s. 217
- Date modified: