PART 7Controlling Pollution and Managing Wastes (continued)
DIVISION 7International Water Pollution (continued)
Marginal note:Interim order
Marginal note:Effective date of order
(2) An interim order has effect from the time it is made.
Marginal note:Approval of Governor in Council
(3) An interim order ceases to have effect 14 days after it is made unless it is approved by the Governor in Council within that period.
(4) The Governor in Council shall not approve an interim order unless the Minister has
(a) within 24 hours after making the order, offered to consult with all affected governments to determine whether they are prepared to take sufficient action to deal with the significant danger; and
(b) consulted with other ministers of the Crown in right of Canada to determine whether any action can be taken under any other Act of Parliament to deal with the significant danger.
Marginal note:Ministerial action
(5) Where the Governor in Council approves an interim order, the Minister shall, within 90 days after the approval, take measures to comply with section 176 in order to address the significant danger that gave rise to the interim order.
Marginal note:Contravention of unpublished order
(6) No person shall be convicted of an offence consisting of a contravention of an interim order that, at the time of the alleged contravention, had not been published in the Canada Gazette unless it is proved that, at the time of the alleged contravention, the person had been notified of the interim order.
Marginal note:Cessation of effect
(7) Subject to subsection (3), an interim order ceases to have effect on the earliest of
Marginal note:Revocation of interim order
(8) No action is required to be taken under subsection (5) if the interim order is repealed.
Marginal note:Report to Parliament
184 The Minister shall include in the annual report required by section 342 a report on the administration of this Division.
DIVISION 8Control of Movement of Hazardous Waste and Hazardous Recyclable Material and of Prescribed Non-hazardous Waste for Final Disposal
Marginal note:Import, export and transit
(a) after notifying the Minister and paying the prescribed fee;
(b) after receiving from the Minister whichever one of the following permits is applicable:
(i) an import permit or export permit that, except in the case of a permit issued under subsection (4), states that the authorities of the country of destination and, if applicable, of the country of transit have authorized the movement, and that the authorities of the jurisdiction of destination have authorized the final disposal or recycling of the waste or material, or
(ii) a transit permit that states that the Minister has authorized the movement; and
(c) in accordance with the prescribed conditions.
Marginal note:Refusal to issue permit
(2) If the Minister is of the opinion that the waste or material will not be managed in a manner that will protect the environment and human health against the adverse effects that may result from that waste or material, the Minister may refuse, in accordance with the criteria set out in the regulations, to issue a permit even if the relevant authorities have given their authorization.
Marginal note:Consultation with governments
(3) Before refusing under subsection (2) to issue a permit to import, the Minister shall consult with the government of the jurisdiction of destination.
Marginal note:Special circumstances to issue permits
(4) Where the Minister is of the opinion that the waste or material will be managed in a manner that will protect the environment and human health against the adverse effects that may result from that waste or material, the Minister may issue a permit if the relevant authorities inform the Minister that they lack the legal authority to authorize the movement, final disposal or recycling but are not opposed to it.
Marginal note:Prohibitions — import, export and transit
186 (1) For the purpose of implementing international agreements respecting the environment, the Minister may, with the approval of the Governor in Council and taking into account Canada’s international obligations, prohibit, completely or partially and under any conditions that may be prescribed, the import, export or transit of waste or material referred to in subsection 185(1).
Marginal note:Prohibition of abandonment
(2) No person shall abandon any waste or material referred to in subsection 185(1) in the course of import, export or transit.
187 After the Minister receives a notification of the proposed import, export or transit of a waste or material referred to in paragraph 185(1)(a), the Minister shall publish in the Canada Gazette, or in any other manner that the Minister considers appropriate, the name or specifications of the waste or material and
(a) in the case of a proposed import, the name of the jurisdiction of origin and the name of the importer;
(b) in the case of a proposed export, the name of the jurisdiction of destination and the name of the exporter; and
(c) in the case of a proposed transit, the names of the jurisdictions of origin and of destination and the name of the conveyor.
Marginal note:Reduction of export for final disposal
188 (1) For the purpose of reducing or phasing out the export of hazardous waste or prescribed non-hazardous waste for final disposal, the Minister may require an exporter, or a class of exporters, of hazardous waste to
Marginal note:Declaration of implementation
(2) Every person who is required to implement a plan under paragraph (1)(b) shall file with the Minister, within 30 days after the completion of each stage of the plan, a written declaration that the implementation has been completed.
(3) The Minister may refuse to issue a permit to an exporter who does not comply with subsection (1) or (2).
Marginal note:Movement within Canada
189 (1) No person shall undertake movement within Canada of hazardous waste or hazardous recyclable material otherwise than in accordance with this Division and the regulations and unless the person pays the prescribed fee.
(2) The Minister shall publish in the Canada Gazette, or in any other manner that the Minister considers appropriate, information derived from documents received under regulations made for the purpose of this section.
Marginal note:Permits based on equivalent environmental safety level
190 (1) The Minister may issue a permit authorizing, subject to conditions fixed by the Minister, any activity to be conducted in a manner that does not comply with this Division if the Minister is satisfied that
(a) the manner in which the activity will be conducted provides a level of environmental safety at least equivalent to that provided by compliance with this Division; and
(b) in the case of the importation, exportation or transit of a waste or material referred to in subsection 185(1), the activity is consistent with international environmental agreements binding on Canada.
Marginal note:Scope of permit
(2) The permit may authorize the activity in terms of the persons who may conduct the activity and in terms of the waste and material that it may involve.
Marginal note:Revocation of permit
(3) The Minister may revoke the permit if
- Date modified: