Assented to 2019-06-21
An Act respecting the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants
Marginal note:Short title
1 This Act may be cited as the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants Act.
Interpretation and Application
2 The following definitions apply in this Act.
Board means the board of directors referred to in subsection 17(1). (conseil)
College means the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants continued under section 84 or established under section 86. (Collège)
- immigration and citizenship consultant
immigration and citizenship consultant means a person — other than a person referred to in paragraph 21.1(2)(a) or (b) or subsection 21.1(3) or (4) of the Citizenship Act or paragraph 91(2)(a) or (b) or subsection 91(3) or (4) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act — who, directly or indirectly, represents or advises persons for consideration — or offers to do so — in connection with a proceeding or application under the Citizenship Act, the submission of an expression of interest under subsection 10.1(3) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act or a proceeding or application under that Act. (consultant en immigration et en citoyenneté)
licence means a licence issued under this Act. (permis)
Minister means the federal minister designated under section 3. (ministre)
prescribed means prescribed by the regulations. (Version anglaise seulement)
privileged means subject to a privilege under the law of evidence, litigation privilege, solicitor-client privilege or the professional secrecy of advocates and notaries. (protégé)
Registrar means the Registrar of the College appointed under section 30. (registraire)
Marginal note:Designation of Minister
3 The Governor in Council may, by order, designate any federal minister to be the Minister referred to in this Act.
4 The purpose of the College is to regulate immigration and citizenship consultants in the public interest and protect the public, including by
(a) establishing and administering qualification standards, standards of practice and continuing education requirements for licensees;
(b) ensuring compliance with the code of professional conduct; and
(c) undertaking public awareness activities.
Marginal note:Head office
5 The College’s head office is to be at the place in Canada that is designated in the College’s by-laws.
Marginal note:Extraterritorial capacity
(2) For greater certainty, the College may exercise the rights, powers and privileges referred to in subsection (1) in any jurisdiction outside Canada to the extent that the laws of that jurisdiction permit.
7 The College is not an agent of Her Majesty in right of Canada, and the College’s directors, the members of its committees, the Registrar, the investigators and any officers, employees and agents and mandataries of the College are not part of the federal public administration.
Marginal note:Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act
Marginal note:Official Languages Act
10 The members of the College are the licensees.
Marginal note:Annual general meeting
11 The College must hold an annual general meeting of members within six months after the end of each of its fiscal years, at a time and place in Canada fixed by the Board.
12 The College must give members notice of the time and place of the annual general meeting in accordance with the by-laws.
Marginal note:Compensation fund
13 The College must establish a fund to compensate persons who have been adversely affected by the conduct or activities of a licensee.
Marginal note:Public records
14 (1) The College must prepare and maintain, at its head office or at any other place in Canada designated by the Board, records that are made available to the public on the College’s website and in any other manner that the College considers appropriate and that contain
Marginal note:Accounting records and financial statements
(2) The College must prepare and maintain adequate accounting records and annual financial statements.
Marginal note:Retention period
(3) Subject to any other Act of Parliament or of the legislature of a province that provides for a longer retention period, the College must retain, for the prescribed period, the accounting records and audited annual financial statements as approved by the Board.
Marginal note:Annual report
Marginal note:Tabling report
(2) The Minister must cause a copy of the report to be tabled in each House of Parliament on any of the first 15 days on which that House is sitting after the day on which the Minister receives it.
Board of Directors
Marginal note:Duties and powers of Board
(2) The Board may delegate any of the powers, duties and functions conferred on it under this Act, except the powers
Marginal note:Order fixing number of directors
(2) The Minister may, by order, fix the number of directors.
Marginal note:Appointed directors
(3) Subject to subsection (4), the Minister may, by order, fix the number of directors that are to be appointed to the Board and appoint those directors.
Marginal note:Maximum number of appointed directors
(4) The number of appointed directors fixed under subsection (3) must not be greater than the minimum number that is required to constitute a majority of directors on the Board.
Marginal note:Elected directors
(5) The remaining directors are to be licensees elected in accordance with the by-laws.
Marginal note:Mailing address
18 Each director must provide the College with their mailing address and with notice of any change in that address.
- Date modified: