Marginal note:Surtax order
68 (1) Notwithstanding this Act or any other Act of Parliament but subject to subsections (2) to (7), the Governor in Council may, on the recommendation of the Minister, by order, make any prescribed agricultural goods specified in the order subject to
Marginal note:Conditions for making order
(2) Before recommending that an order be made under subsection (1), the Minister must be satisfied, on the basis of a report by the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, that the conditions, set out in Article 5 of the Agreement on Agriculture in Annex 1A of the World Trade Organization Agreement, for the imposition of a surtax on the prescribed agricultural goods have been met.
Marginal note:Non-application to goods in transit
(3) The President of the Canada Border Services Agency may relieve goods from payment of a surtax imposed by an order under subsection (1) if the President is of the opinion that
Marginal note:Resolution of Parliament of cessation
(4) If both Houses of Parliament adopt a resolution directing that an order made under subsection (1) cease to have effect, the order ceases to have effect on the day that the resolution is adopted or, if the adopted resolution specifies a day on which the order ceases to have effect, on that specified day.
Marginal note:Notice in Canada Gazette
(5) If an order under subsection (1) ceases to have effect as a result of a resolution of both Houses of Parliament, the Minister shall cause a notice to that effect to be published in the Canada Gazette.
(6) The Governor in Council may, on the recommendation of the Minister, make regulations
Marginal note:Exemption from Statutory Instruments Act
- 1997, c. 36, s. 68
- 1999, c. 17, s. 130
- 2005, c. 38, s. 87
- Date modified: