PART IIIPetroleum Operations (continued)
DIVISION IIProduction Arrangements (continued)
Marginal note:Voluntary pooling
172 (1) Where one or more working interest owners have leases or separately owned working interests within a spacing unit, the working interest owners and the royalty owners who own all of the interests in the spacing unit may pool their working interests and royalty interests in the spacing unit for the purpose of drilling for or producing, or both drilling for and producing, petroleum if a copy of the pooling agreement and any amendment thereto has been filed with the Chief Conservation Officer.
Marginal note:Pooling agreement by Her Majesty
(2) The Board may, on behalf of Her Majesty, enter into a pooling agreement on any terms and conditions that it deems advisable and, despite anything in Part II or this Part, the Federal Real Property and Federal Immovables Act or any regulations made under those Parts or that Act, the pooling agreement is binding on Her Majesty.
- 1988, c. 28, s. 172
- 1991, c. 50, s. 25
- 2001, c. 4, s. 153
Marginal note:Application for pooling order
173 (1) In the absence of a pooling agreement, a working interest owner in a spacing unit may apply for a pooling order directing the working interest owners and royalty owners within the spacing unit to pool their interests in the spacing unit for the purpose of drilling for and producing, or producing, petroleum from the spacing unit.
Marginal note:Hearing by Committee
(2) An application under subsection (1) shall be made to the Board which shall refer the application to the Committee for the purpose of holding a hearing to determine whether a pooling order should be made and at such hearing the Committee shall afford all interested parties an opportunity to be heard.
Marginal note:Matter to be supplied Committee on hearing
(3) Prior to a hearing held pursuant to subsection (2), the working interest owner making application shall provide the Committee, and such other interested parties as the Committee may direct, with a proposed form of pooling agreement and the working interest owners who have interests in the spacing unit to which the proposed pooling agreement relates shall provide the Committee with such information as the Committee deems necessary.
Marginal note:Order of Committee
(4) After a hearing pursuant to subsection (2), the Committee may order that all working interest owners and royalty owners who have an interest in the spacing unit shall be deemed to have entered into a pooling agreement as set out in the pooling order.
Marginal note:Contents of pooling order
(5) Every pooling order shall provide
(a) for the drilling and operation of a well on the spacing unit or, where a well that is capable of or that can be made capable of production has been drilled on the spacing unit before the making of the pooling order, for the future production and operation of that well;
(b) for the appointment of a working interest owner as operator to be responsible for the drilling, operation or abandoning of the well whether drilled before or after the making of the pooling order;
(c) for the allocation to each pooled tract of its share of the production of the petroleum from the pooled spacing unit that is not required, consumed or lost in the operation of the well, which allocation shall be on a prorated area basis unless it can be shown to the satisfaction of the Committee that such basis is unfair, whereupon the Committee may make an allocation on some other more equitable basis;
(d) in the event that no production of petroleum is obtained, for the payment by the applicant of all costs incurred in the drilling and abandoning of the well;
(e) where production has been obtained, for the payment of the actual costs of drilling the well, whether drilled before or after the making of the pooling order, and for the payment of the actual costs of the completion, operation and abandoning of the well; and
(f) for the sale by the operator of petroleum allocated pursuant to paragraph (c) to a working interest owner where the working interest owner thereof fails to take in kind and dispose of such production, and for the deduction out of the proceeds by the operator of the expenses reasonably incurred in connection with such sale.
Marginal note:Provision of penalty
(6) A pooling order may provide for a penalty for a working interest owner who does not, within the time specified in the order, pay the portion of the costs attributable to the working interest owner as the share of the cost of drilling and completion of the well, but such penalty shall not exceed an amount equal to one-half of that working interest owner’s share of such costs.
Marginal note:Recovery of costs and penalty
(7) If a working interest owner does not, within the time specified therefor in the pooling order, pay the share of the costs of the drilling, completing, operating and abandoning of the well, that portion of the costs and the penalty, if any, are recoverable only out of the share of production from the spacing unit and not in any other manner.
Marginal note:Effect of pooling order
174 Where a pooling order is made, all working interest owners and royalty owners having interests in the pooled spacing unit shall, on the making of the pooling order, be deemed to have entered into a pooling agreement as set out in the pooling order and that order shall be deemed to be a valid contract between the parties having interests in the pooled spacing unit, and all its terms and provisions, as set out therein or as altered pursuant to section 175, are binding on and enforceable against the parties thereto, including Her Majesty.
Marginal note:Application to alter pooling order
175 (1) The Committee shall hear any application to vary, amend or terminate a pooling order where such application is made by the owners of over twenty-five per cent of the working interests in the pooled spacing unit, calculated on a prorated area basis, and may, in its discretion, order a hearing on the application of any working interest owner or royalty owner.
Marginal note:Alteration of pooling order
(2) After a hearing held pursuant to subsection (1), the Committee may vary or amend the pooling order to supply any deficiency therein or to meet changing conditions and may vary or revoke any provision that the Committee deems to be unfair or inequitable or it may terminate the pooling order.
Marginal note:Tract participation ratios protected
(3) Where a pooling order is varied or amended, no change shall be made that will alter the ratios of tract participations between the pooled tracts as originally set out in the pooling order.
176 (1) No person shall produce any petroleum within a spacing unit in which there are two or more leases or two or more separately owned working interests unless a pooling agreement has been entered into in accordance with section 172 or in accordance with a pooling order made under section 173.
(2) Subsection (1) does not prohibit the production of petroleum for testing in any quantities approved by the Chief Conservation Officer.
Marginal note:Unit operation
177 (1) Any one or more working interest owners in a pool or part thereof exceeding in area a spacing unit, together with the royalty owners, may enter into a unit agreement and operate their interests pursuant to the terms of the unit agreement or any amendment thereto if a copy of the agreement and any amendment has been filed with the Chief Conservation Officer.
Marginal note:Board may enter into unit agreement
(2) The Board may enter into a unit agreement binding on Her Majesty, on any terms and conditions that it may deem advisable, and any of the regulations under Part II or this Part or the Federal Real Property and Federal Immovables Act that may be in conflict with the terms and conditions of the unit agreement stand varied or suspended to the extent necessary to give full effect to the terms and conditions of the unit agreement.
Marginal note:Unit operator’s relationship to parties
(3) Where a unit agreement filed under this section provides that a unit operator shall be the agent of the parties thereto with respect to their powers and responsibilities under this Part, the performance or non-performance thereof by the unit operator shall be deemed to be the performance or non-performance by the parties otherwise having those powers and responsibilities under this Part.
- 1988, c. 28, s. 177
- 1991, c. 50, s. 26
- 2001, c. 4, s. 154
Marginal note:Requiring unitization to prevent waste
178 (1) Notwithstanding anything in this Part, where, in the opinion of the Chief Conservation Officer, the unit operation of a pool or part thereof would prevent waste, the Chief Conservation Officer may apply to the Committee for an order requiring the working interest owners in the pool or part thereof to enter into a unit agreement and a unit operating agreement in respect of the pool or part thereof, as the case may be.
(2) Where an application is made by the Chief Conservation Officer pursuant to subsection (1), the Committee shall hold a hearing at which all interested persons shall be afforded an opportunity to be heard.
(3) If, after the hearing referred to in subsection (2), the Committee is of the opinion that unit operation of a pool or part thereof would prevent waste, the Committee may by order require the working interest owners in the pool or part thereof to enter into a unit agreement and a unit operating agreement in respect of the pool or part thereof.
Marginal note:Cessation of operations
(4) If, in the time specified in the order referred to in subsection (3), being not less than six months after the date of the making of the order, the working interest owners and royalty owners fail to enter into a unit agreement and a unit operating agreement approved by the Committee, all drilling and producing operations within the pool or part thereof in respect of which the order was made shall cease until such time as a unit agreement and a unit operating agreement have been approved by the Committee and filed with the Chief Conservation Officer.
Marginal note:Permit to continue operations
(5) Notwithstanding subsection (4), the Committee may permit the continued operation of the pool or part thereof after the time specified in the order referred to in subsection (3) if it is of the opinion that a unit agreement and unit operating agreement are in the course of being entered into, but any such continuation of operations shall be subject to any conditions prescribed by the Committee.
- Date modified: