Income Tax Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. 1 (5th Supp.))
- HTMLFull Document: Income Tax Act (Accessibility Buttons available) |
- XMLFull Document: Income Tax Act [12133 KB] |
- PDFFull Document: Income Tax Act [20517 KB]
Act current to 2023-03-06 and last amended on 2023-01-01. Previous Versions
Marginal note:Liability of directors for failure to deduct
227.1 (1) Where a corporation has failed to deduct or withhold an amount as required by subsection 135(3) or 135.1(7) or section 153 or 215, has failed to remit such an amount or has failed to pay an amount of tax for a taxation year as required under Part VII or VIII, the directors of the corporation at the time the corporation was required to deduct, withhold, remit or pay the amount are jointly and severally, or solidarily, liable, together with the corporation, to pay that amount and any interest or penalties relating to it.
Marginal note:Limitations on liability
(2) A director is not liable under subsection 227.1(1), unless
(a) a certificate for the amount of the corporation’s liability referred to in that subsection has been registered in the Federal Court under section 223 and execution for that amount has been returned unsatisfied in whole or in part;
(b) the corporation has commenced liquidation or dissolution proceedings or has been dissolved and a claim for the amount of the corporation’s liability referred to in that subsection has been proved within six months after the earlier of the date of commencement of the proceedings and the date of dissolution; or
(c) the corporation has made an assignment or a bankruptcy order has been made against it under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and a claim for the amount of the corporation’s liability referred to in that subsection has been proved within six months after the date of the assignment or bankruptcy order.
(3) A director is not liable for a failure under subsection 227.1(1) where the director exercised the degree of care, diligence and skill to prevent the failure that a reasonably prudent person would have exercised in comparable circumstances.
Marginal note:Limitation period
(4) No action or proceedings to recover any amount payable by a director of a corporation under subsection 227.1(1) shall be commenced more than two years after the director last ceased to be a director of that corporation.
Marginal note:Amount recoverable
(5) Where execution referred to in paragraph 227.1(2)(a) has issued, the amount recoverable from a director is the amount remaining unsatisfied after execution.
(6) Where a director pays an amount in respect of a corporation’s liability referred to in subsection 227.1(1) that is proved in liquidation, dissolution or bankruptcy proceedings, the director is entitled to any preference that Her Majesty in right of Canada would have been entitled to had that amount not been so paid and, where a certificate that relates to that amount has been registered, the director is entitled to an assignment of the certificate to the extent of the director’s payment, which assignment the Minister is hereby empowered to make.
(7) A director who has satisfied a claim under this section is entitled to contribution from the other directors who were liable for the claim.
- [NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text
- see relevant amending Acts and regulations.]
- R.S., 1985, c. 1 (5th Supp.), s. 227.1
- 1994, c. 7, Sch. V, s. 90
- 2004, c. 25, s. 202
- 2006, c. 4, s. 87
- Date modified: