Assented to 2005-11-25
An Act governing the operation of remote sensing space systems
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
Marginal note:Short title
2 The following definitions apply in this Act.
- controlled activity
controlled activity, subject to subsection 8(6), means any of the following activities in the operation of a remote sensing space system:
(a) formulating or giving a command to a remote sensing satellite of the system;
(b) receiving raw data from a remote sensing satellite of the system;
(c) storing, processing or distributing raw data from the system;
(d) establishing or using
- information assurance
information assurance means the protection of information and information systems by ensuring their availability, integrity, authentication, confidentiality and non-repudiation. (assurance de l’information)
licence means a licence issued under subsection 8(1). (licence)
- licensed system
licensed system means a remote sensing space system for whose operation a licence has been issued. (système agréé)
licensee means a person who is the holder of a licence. (titulaire de licence)
Minister, subject to section 3, means the Minister of Foreign Affairs. (ministre)
person includes a partnership, a government, a government agency and an unincorporated organization. (personne)
prescribed means prescribed by the regulations. (Version anglaise seulement)
- raw data
raw data means sensor data from a remote sensing satellite, and any auxiliary data required to produce remote sensing products from the sensor data, that have not been transformed into a remote sensing product. (données brutes)
- remote sensing product
remote sensing product means an image or data produced from raw data in any way that transforms the raw data. (produit dérivé)
- remote sensing satellite
remote sensing satellite means a satellite that is capable of sensing the surface of the Earth through the use of electromagnetic waves. (satellite de télédétection)
- remote sensing space system
remote sensing space system means
(a) one or more remote sensing satellites and the mission control centre and other facilities used to operate the satellites; and
(b) the facilities used to receive, store, process or distribute raw data from the satellites, even after the satellites themselves are no longer in operation. (système de télédétection spatiale)
- system participant
system participant means a person who is designated in a licence condition referred to in paragraph 8(5)(b). (participant autorisé)
transform, with respect to raw data, means, having regard to the regulations, to so process them that it is substantially impossible to reconstitute them from the resulting remote sensing product. (traitement)
Designation of Minister
Marginal note:Power of Governor in Council
3 The Governor in Council may designate a member of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada to be the Minister for the purposes of this Act.
Application of Act
Marginal note:Binding on Crown
Marginal note:Order modifying application of Act to certain systems
(2) The Governor in Council may make an order with respect to a remote sensing space system operated by the Department of National Defence or the Canadian Space Agency providing that this Act and the regulations apply to that system only in the manner and to the extent provided for in the order. The order may adapt any of the provisions of this Act or the regulations for the purposes of that application.
Marginal note:Exemption by order
(3) The Minister may, by order, exempt any person or remote sensing space system — or any class of person, system or data — from the application of any provisions of this Act or the regulations. The exemption order may be limited in scope or made subject to conditions. It may be made only if the Minister is satisfied that
(a) the exemption is neither injurious to national security, to the defence of Canada, to the safety of Canadian Forces or to Canada’s conduct of international relations nor inconsistent with Canada’s international obligations;
(b) adequate provision will be made for the protection of the environment, public health and the safety of persons and property; and
(c) the interests of the provinces are protected.
Operation of Remote Sensing Space Systems
Requirement for Licence
Marginal note:System operator requires licence
5 No person shall operate a remote sensing space system in any manner, directly or indirectly, except under the authority of a licence.
Marginal note:Activities outside Canada
6 Section 5 applies also to the following persons with respect to their activities outside Canada:
(a) Canadian citizens;
(c) corporations that are incorporated or continued under the laws of Canada or a province; and
(d) members of any prescribed class of persons having a substantial connection to Canada related to remote sensing space systems.
Applications, Licences and Related Matters
Marginal note:Applications regarding licences
7 An application to the Minister to issue, amend or renew a licence must be made in the prescribed form and manner, be supported by a proposed system disposal plan, proposed guarantee arrangements referred to in paragraph 9(1)(b) and any other prescribed information, documents and undertakings and be accompanied by any prescribed application fee.
Marginal note:Issuance, amendment or renewal of licences
8 (1) On application, the Minister may, having regard to national security, the defence of Canada, the safety of Canadian Forces, Canada’s conduct of international relations, Canada’s international obligations and any prescribed factors,
Marginal note:Provisional approval binding
(2) A provisional approval is binding on the Minister for so long as the material facts on which it was based remain substantially unchanged.
Marginal note:Reasons for refusal of application
(3) The Minister shall, without delay, provide reasons to the applicant for any refusal of an application.
Marginal note:Conditions of licences
(4) Every licence is subject to the conditions referred to in subsections (5) to (7), any prescribed conditions and the following conditions:
(a) that the licensee keep control of the licensed system;
(b) that the licensee not permit any other person to carry on a controlled activity in the operation of the system except in accordance with the licence;
(c) that raw data and remote sensing products from the system about the territory of any country — but not including data or products that have been enhanced or to which some value has been added — be made available to the government of that country within a reasonable time, on reasonable terms and for so long as the data or products have not been disposed of, but subject to any licence conditions under subsection (6) or (7) applicable to their communication or provision;
(d) that the licensee keep control of raw data and remote sensing products from the system until they are disposed of in accordance with this Act;
(e) that raw data from the system be communicated only to a government referred to in paragraph (c), the licensee, a system participant or a person to whom they may be communicated under subsection (6);
(f) that the licensee encourage a recipient of raw data or a remote sensing product who has entered into an agreement referred to in paragraph (6)(b) or (7)(b) to comply with the agreement; and
(g) that any prescribed fees be paid when due.
Marginal note:Conditions specified by Minister
(5) In a licence, the Minister may specify any other condition that the Minister considers appropriate, including any condition
Marginal note:Conditions specified by Minister — raw data
(6) In a licence, the Minister may authorize the communication of raw data or classes of raw data from the licensed system to any persons or classes of persons other than the licensee or system participants on any conditions that the Minister considers appropriate. The conditions may include requirements that, in specified cases or circumstances, the communication of the raw data
(a) be subject to the Minister’s prior approval; or
(b) be done only under a legally enforceable agreement, entered into in good faith, that includes measures respecting their security or their further communication.
The receipt, communication, processing or storage of raw data by such persons is not a controlled activity.
Marginal note:Conditions specified by Minister — remote sensing products
(7) In a licence, the Minister may restrict the provision of remote sensing products or classes of such products from the licensed system to persons or classes of persons other than the licensee or system participants on any conditions that the Minister considers appropriate. The conditions may include requirements that, in specified cases or circumstances, the provision of the remote sensing products
(8) A licence is valid for the period that the Minister considers appropriate and specifies in it.
(9) A licence is not transferable without the Minister’s consent.
Marginal note:Non-application of Statutory Instruments Act
- Date modified: