PART VAdministration and Enforcement
Inspection and Analysis
Marginal note:Designation of inspectors and analysts
(2) Every inspector and analyst shall be given a certificate, in a form established by the Minister, attesting to the inspector or analyst’s designation.
Marginal note:Certificate to be produced
(3) An inspector entering a place under this Act shall, on request, produce the certificate to the person in charge of that place.
- 1997, c. 13, s. 34
- 2018, c. 9, s. 45
Marginal note:Authority to enter place
35 (1) For a purpose related to verifying compliance with this Act, an inspector may, subject to section 36, enter any place, including a conveyance, in which the inspector believes on reasonable grounds
(a) a tobacco product or vaping product is manufactured, tested, stored, promoted, transported or furnished;
(b) there is anything used in the manufacture, testing, promotion or furnishing of a tobacco product or vaping product; or
(c) there is any information relating to the manufacture, testing, storage, promotion, transporting or furnishing of a tobacco product or vaping product.
Marginal note:Powers of inspector
(2) An inspector may, for the purpose referred to in subsection (1),
(a) examine a tobacco product, vaping product or thing referred to in paragraph (1)(b) that is found in the place;
(b) order any person to produce for examination, in the manner and form requested by the inspector, the tobacco product, vaping product or thing;
(c) open or order any person to open any container or package found in the place that the inspector believes on reasonable grounds contains the tobacco product, vaping product or thing;
(d) take or order any person to take, free of charge, a sample of the tobacco product, vaping product or thing;
(e) conduct any test or analysis or take any measurements;
(f) order any person found in the place to produce for examination or copying any written or electronic information;
(g) take photographs and make recordings and sketches;
(h) order the owner or person having possession, care or control of the tobacco product, vaping product or thing — or of the conveyance — to move it or, for any time that may be necessary, not to move it or to restrict its movement;
(i) order the owner or person in charge of the place or a person who manufactures, tests, stores, promotes, transports or furnishes a tobacco product or vaping product at the place to establish their identity to the inspector’s satisfaction;
(j) use or order any person to use a computer system, as defined in subsection 342.1(2) of the Criminal Code, that is found in the place to examine data that are contained in or available to the computer system, reproduce the data or order any person to reproduce the data in the form of a printout or other intelligible output and remove the output for examination or copying; or
(k) use or order any person to use copying equipment that is found in the place and remove the copies for examination.
Marginal note:Means of telecommunication
(3) For the purposes of subsections (1) and (2), the inspector is considered to have entered a place when they access it remotely by a means of telecommunication.
Marginal note:Limitation — access by means of telecommunication
(4) An inspector who enters remotely, by a means of telecommunication, a place that is not accessible to the public must do so with the knowledge of the owner or person in charge of the place and only for the period necessary for the purpose referred to in subsection (1).
Marginal note:Persons accompanying inspector
(5) The inspector may be accompanied by any person that they believe is necessary to help them exercise their powers or perform their duties or functions under this section.
Marginal note:Entering private property
(6) An inspector and any person accompanying them may enter and pass through private property, other than a dwelling-house on that property, in order to gain entry to a place referred to in subsection (1).
- 1997, c. 13, s. 35
- 2018, c. 9, s. 45
Marginal note:Warrant to enter dwelling-house
Marginal note:Authority to issue warrant
(2) On ex parte application, a justice of the peace may issue a warrant authorizing the inspector named in the warrant to enter a dwelling-house, subject to any conditions specified in the warrant, if the justice is satisfied by information on oath that
(a) the dwelling-house is a place referred to in subsection 35(1);
(b) entry to the dwelling-house is necessary for a purpose referred to in that subsection; and
(c) entry to the dwelling-house was refused by the occupant or there are reasonable grounds to believe that entry will be refused by, or that consent to entry cannot be obtained from, the occupant.
Marginal note:Use of force
(3) In executing a warrant issued under subsection (2), an inspector may use force only if the use of force has been specifically authorized in the warrant and they are accompanied by a peace officer.
(4) If an inspector believes that it would not be practical to appear personally to make an application for a warrant under subsection (2), a warrant may be issued by telephone or other means of telecommunication on information submitted by telephone or other means of telecommunication, and section 487.1 of the Criminal Code applies for that purpose, with any necessary modifications.
- 1997, c. 13, s. 36
- 2018, c. 9, s. 45
Marginal note:Certificate of analysis
37 An analyst who has analysed or examined a thing under this Act, or a sample of it, may issue a certificate or report setting out the results of the analysis or examination.
Marginal note:Assistance to inspectors
38 (1) The owner or person in charge of a place referred to in subsection 35(1) and every person found in that place shall give all assistance that is reasonably required to enable the inspector to exercise their powers or perform their duties or functions under this Act, including by providing them with any documents or information, and access to any data, that they may reasonably require for that purpose and by complying with any order made by the inspector under subsection 35(2) or paragraph 39(2)(b).
(2) No person shall obstruct or hinder, or make a false or misleading statement either orally or in writing to, an inspector who is exercising their powers or performing their duties or functions under this Act.
- 1997, c. 13, s. 38
- 2018, c. 9, s. 46
Seizure and Restoration
39 (1) An inspector may seize any thing — including a tobacco product or vaping product — found in a place referred to in subsection 35(1), or a conveyance referred to in that subsection, that they have reasonable grounds to believe was used in the contravention of this Act or is something in relation to which the Act was contravened.
(2) An inspector who seizes a thing or a conveyance may
(3) Unless authorized by an inspector, no person shall remove, alter or interfere in any way with any thing or conveyance seized.
- 1997, c. 13, s. 39
- 2018, c. 9, s. 47
Marginal note:Application for restoration
40 (1) Any person from whom a thing or conveyance was seized may, within 60 days after the date of seizure, apply to a provincial court judge within whose jurisdiction the seizure was made for an order of restoration, if the person sends a notice containing the prescribed information to the Minister within the prescribed time and in the prescribed manner.
Marginal note:Order of restoration
(2) The provincial court judge may order that the thing or conveyance be restored immediately to the applicant if, on hearing the application, the judge is satisfied
Marginal note:Order of later restoration
(3) If, on hearing an application made under subsection (1), the provincial court judge is satisfied that the applicant is entitled to possession of the thing or conveyance seized but is not satisfied with respect to the matters mentioned in paragraph (2)(b), the judge may order that the thing or conveyance seized be restored to the applicant
Marginal note:No restoration where forfeiture by consent
(4) The provincial court judge shall not make an order under this section for restoration of a thing or conveyance if it has been forfeited by consent under subsection 41(3).
- 1997, c. 13, s. 40
- 2018, c. 9, s. 48
- Date modified: