PART IIIRailway Transportation (continued)
DIVISION IVRates, Tariffs and Services (continued)
Marginal note:Confidential contracts
(a) the rates to be charged by the company to the shipper;
(b) reductions or allowances pertaining to rates in tariffs that have been issued and published in accordance with this Division;
(c) rebates or allowances pertaining to rates in tariffs or confidential contracts that have previously been lawfully charged;
(d) the manner in which the company is to fulfil its service obligations under section 113; and
(e) any conditions relating to the traffic to be moved by the company, including any amount to be paid by the company or the shipper in relation to a failure to comply with any condition related to the service obligations referred to in paragraph (d).
Marginal note:Request for confidential contract
(1.1) A shipper may request that a railway company make it an offer to enter into a contract under subsection (1) with the railway company respecting
(a) the manner in which the company is to fulfil its service obligations under section 113; or
(b) any amount to be paid in relation to the company’s or the shipper’s failure to comply with a term related to those service obligations, the purpose of which is to encourage the efficient movement of the shipper’s traffic and the performance of the railway system.
(1.11) The shipper may only make a request in respect of an amount described in paragraph (1.1)(b) if the amount relates to a term that is included in the request under subsection (1.1).
Marginal note:Content of request
(1.2) The request must describe the traffic to which it relates, the services requested by the shipper with respect to the traffic and any undertaking that the shipper is prepared to give to the railway company with respect to the traffic or services.
(1.3) The railway company must make its offer within 30 days after the day on which it receives the request.
Marginal note:Exception to offer
(1.4) Subject to subsection (1.5), the railway company is not required to include in its offer terms with respect to a matter that
(a) is governed by a written agreement to which the shipper and the railway company are parties;
(b) is the subject of an order, other than an interim order, made under subsection 116(4);
(c) is set out in a tariff referred to in subsection 136.4(1) or 165(3); or
(d) is the subject of an arbitration decision made under section 169.37.
(1.5) The railway company must include in its offer terms with respect to a matter that is governed by an agreement, the subject of an order or decision or set out in a tariff, referred to in subsection (1.4) if the agreement, order, decision or tariff expires within two months after the day on which the railway company receives the request referred to in subsection (1.1). The terms must apply to a period that begins after the agreement, order, decision or tariff expires.
Marginal note:No investigation or arbitration of confidential contracts
(2) No party to a confidential contract is entitled to submit a matter governed by the contract to the Agency for final offer arbitration under section 161, without the consent of all the parties to the contract.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 126
- 2013, c. 31, s. 8
- 2018, c. 10, s. 25
Marginal note:Application to interswitch traffic between connecting lines
127 (1) If a railway line of one railway company connects with a railway line of another railway company, an application for an interswitching order may be made to the Agency by either company, by a municipal government or by any other interested person.
(2) If the point of origin or destination of a continuous movement of traffic is within a radius of 30 km of an interchange, the Agency may order
Marginal note:Interswitching limits
(3) If the point of origin or destination of a continuous movement of traffic is within a radius of 30 km of an interchange, a railway company shall not transfer the traffic at the interchange except in accordance with the regulations and the interswitching rate.
Marginal note:Extension of interswitching limits
(4) On the application of a person referred to in subsection (1), the Agency may deem a point of origin or destination of a movement of traffic in any particular case to be within 30 km of an interchange if the Agency is of the opinion that, in the circumstances, the point of origin or destination is reasonably close to the interchange.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 127
- 2018, c. 10, ss. 26, 95
Marginal note:Interswitching rate
(2) In determining an interswitching rate, the Agency shall take into consideration
Marginal note:Limit on rate
(3) In determining an interswitching rate, the Agency shall consider the average variable costs of all movements of traffic that are subject to the rate and the rate shall not be less than the variable costs of moving the traffic, as determined by the Agency.
Marginal note:Publication of method
(4) The Agency shall, when it makes its determination under subsection (1), publish the method that it followed for determining the rate.
Marginal note:Interswitching rate to be published
- 2018, c. 10, s. 27
(1.1) [Repealed, 2014, c. 8, s. 7]
(2) and (3) [Repealed, 2018, c. 10, s. 28]
Marginal note:Transfer of lines does not affect entitlement
(4) For greater certainty, the transfer of a railway line, or an operating interest in it, under Division V or section 158 of the National Transportation Act, 1987 does not affect any entitlement to an interswitching rate.
Marginal note:Review of interswitching regulations
(5) The Agency shall review the regulations when the circumstances warrant and at least once in every five year period after the regulations are made.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 128
- 2014, c. 8, s. 7
- 2018, c. 10, s. 28
Marginal note:Power to require information
128.1 No later than August 31 of every year, a railway company shall provide to the Agency, in the form and manner specified by the Agency, the information or documents that the Agency considers necessary to exercise its powers or perform its duties or functions under section 127.1.
- 2018, c. 10, s. 29
- Date modified: