Marginal note:Surtax under certain conditions
55 (1) Subject to sections 56, 57, 59 and 61, if at any time it appears to the satisfaction of the Governor in Council, on the basis of a report of the Minister or of an inquiry made by the Canadian International Trade Tribunal under section 20 or 26 of the Canadian International Trade Tribunal Act, that goods are being imported under such conditions as to cause or threaten serious injury to domestic producers of like or directly competitive goods, the Governor in Council may, on the recommendation of the Minister, by order, make any such goods imported from a country specified in the order, when imported into Canada or a region or part of Canada specified in the order during the period that the order is in effect, subject to a surtax
Marginal note:Maximum rate
(2) The rate specified under subsection (1) may not exceed the rate that in the opinion of the Governor in Council is sufficient to prevent or remedy serious injury to domestic producers of like or directly competitive goods.
Marginal note:Minister’s report
(3) A report of the Minister referred to in subsection (1) may be made only if
(4) If an order is made under subsection (1) on the basis of a report of the Minister, the Governor in Council shall immediately refer the matter to the Canadian International Trade Tribunal for an inquiry under paragraph 20(a) of the Canadian International Trade Tribunal Act.
Marginal note:Prohibition against further orders
(5) Subject to subsection (6), no order may be made under subsection (1) with respect to goods that have already been the subject of an order made under that subsection or subsection 5(3) of the Export and Import Permits Act unless, after the expiry of the order and any related orders made under subsection 5(3.2) or (4.1) of that Act or section 60 or subsection 63(1), there has elapsed a period equal to the greater of two years and the total period during which the order or orders were in effect.
(6) If an order made under subsection (1) was effective with respect to goods for a period of 180 days or less, a further order may be made under that subsection with respect to those goods if
- Date modified: