PART 6Enforcement (continued)
Marginal note:Review of forfeiture
269 The forfeiture of a thing under section 267 or any security held as forfeit instead of the thing is final and not subject to review or to be restrained, prohibited, removed, set aside or otherwise dealt with except to the extent and in the manner provided under this Act.
Review of Imposed Penalty or Seizure
Marginal note:Penalty imposed or seizure made in error
Marginal note:Non-application if request made
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if a request under section 271 has been made in respect of the imposition of the penalty or the seizure.
Marginal note:Request for Minister’s decision
271 (1) Any person on whom a penalty is imposed under section 254 or from whom a thing is seized under section 260 may request that the Minister review the imposition of the penalty or the seizure and make a decision under section 273.
Marginal note:Time limit for making request
(2) A request must be made within 90 days after
Marginal note:How request made
(3) A request must be made in writing
Marginal note:Burden of proof
(4) The burden of proving that a request was made lies on the person claiming that it was made.
Marginal note:Commissioner to provide reasons
(5) On receipt of a request, the Commissioner shall without delay provide to the person making the request written reasons for the seizure or the imposition of the penalty.
(6) The person making a request may submit any evidence that the person wishes the Minister to consider for the purposes of making the decision within 30 days after the date on which the written reasons were sent.
Marginal note:Form of evidence
(7) Evidence may be given by affidavit sworn before a commissioner for taking oaths or any other person authorized to take affidavits.
Marginal note:Extension of time by Minister
272 (1) If no request for a decision under section 271 is made within the time limited by that section, a person may make a written application to the Minister to extend the time for making a request.
Marginal note:Conditions — grant of application
(2) The Minister may extend the time for making a request under section 271 if an application under subsection (1) is made within one year after the time limit for a request and the Minister is satisfied that
(a) the applicant had a bona fide intention to make the request before the expiration of the time limit but was unable to do so and was unable to instruct another person to do so on the applicant’s behalf;
(b) the application was made as soon as circumstances permitted it to be made; and
(c) having regard to any reasons provided by the applicant and to the circumstances of the case, it would be just and equitable to extend the time.
Marginal note:Notification of decision
(3) The Minister shall notify the applicant of the Minister’s decision regarding the application by registered or certified mail.
Marginal note:If application granted
(4) If the Minister decides to extend the time, the request under section 271 is deemed to have been made on the day of the decision of the Minister regarding the application.
Marginal note:Decision final
(5) A decision of the Minister under this section is final and binding and, despite any other Act of Parliament, no appeal lies from it.
Marginal note:Decision of the Minister
273 (1) As soon after the receipt of a request under section 271 as is reasonably possible, the Minister shall review the circumstances giving rise to the imposition of the penalty or the seizure and decide whether the contravention on which the penalty or the seizure is based occurred and what action is to be taken under section 274 or 275.
Marginal note:Notification of decision
(2) The Minister shall notify the person who requested the decision of the decision by registered or certified mail.
Marginal note:Judicial review
(3) The Minister’s decision is not subject to review or to be restrained, prohibited, removed, set aside or otherwise dealt with except to the extent and in the manner provided under subsection 276(1).
Marginal note:If no contravention occurred
274 (1) Subject to this or any other Act of Parliament, if the Minister decides under subsection 273(1) that the contravention on which a penalty or seizure is based did not occur, the Minister shall without delay
Marginal note:Interest on money returned
(2) If any money is authorized to be returned to a person, there shall be paid to the person, in addition to the money returned, interest at the prescribed rate computed for the period beginning on the day after the money was paid and ending on the day on which the money is returned.
Marginal note:If contravention occurred — penalty
(a) confirm the penalty;
(b) if the Minister believes that the penalty imposed is insufficient under the circumstances relating to the contravention, demand from the person any additional amount of money that the Minister considers sufficient to increase the penalty to an amount of not more than the maximum amount for which the person is liable for the contravention, and the additional amount is payable immediately; or
(c) if the Minister believes that the penalty imposed should be reduced or waived under the circumstances relating to the contravention, reduce or waive the penalty.
Marginal note:If contravention occurred — seizure
(2) If the Minister decides under subsection 273(1) that the contravention on which a seizure is based did occur, the Minister may, subject to any terms and conditions that the Minister may determine,
(a) confirm the seizure;
(b) return the seized thing on receipt by the Minister of an amount of money equal
(c) return any portion of any security taken in respect of the thing; or
(d) if the Minister considers that insufficient security was taken or if no security was received, demand any amount of money that the Minister considers sufficient in the circumstances, and the amount is payable immediately.
Marginal note:Amounts demanded by the Minister
(3) Any amount of money demanded under paragraph (1)(b) or (2)(d), from and after the date of the notice provided under subsection 273(2), constitutes a debt due to Her Majesty from the person who requested the decision and that person is in default unless, within 90 days after that date, the person
Marginal note:Interest on penalty during appeal period
(4) Despite subsection 170(1), if the decision of the Minister is appealed to the Federal Court under section 276, no interest is payable in respect of an amount demanded under paragraph (1)(b) or (2)(d) for any period before the day on which the appeal is resolved.
Marginal note:Forfeiture ceases
(5) If the Minister returns a seized thing or security taken in respect of a seized thing under subsection (2), the thing or the security ceases to be forfeit.
- Date modified: