Protection of Personal Information (continued)
Marginal note:Record of disclosures to be retained
9 (1) The head of a government institution shall retain a record of any use by the institution of personal information contained in a personal information bank or any use or purpose for which that information is disclosed by the institution where the use or purpose is not included in the statements of uses and purposes set forth pursuant to subparagraph 11(1)(a)(iv) and subsection 11(2) in the index referred to in section 11, and shall attach the record to the personal information.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of information disclosed pursuant to paragraph 8(2)(e).
Marginal note:Record forms part of personal information
(3) For the purposes of this Act, a record retained under subsection (1) shall be deemed to form part of the personal information to which it is attached.
Marginal note:Consistent uses
(4) Where personal information in a personal information bank under the control of a government institution is used or disclosed for a use consistent with the purpose for which the information was obtained or compiled by the institution but the use is not included in the statement of consistent uses set forth pursuant to subparagraph 11(1)(a)(iv) in the index referred to in section 11, the head of the government institution shall
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 111, Sch. II “9”
- 1984, c. 21, s. 89
Personal Information Banks
Marginal note:Personal information to be included in personal information banks
Marginal note:Exception for Library and Archives of Canada
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of personal information under the custody or control of the Library and Archives of Canada that has been transferred there by a government institution for historical or archival purposes.
- R.S., 1985, c. P-21, s. 10
- R.S., 1985, c. 1 (3rd Supp.), s. 12
- 2004, c. 11, s. 38
Personal Information Index
Marginal note:Index of personal information
(a) all personal information banks setting forth, in respect of each bank,
(i) the identification and a description of the bank, the registration number assigned to it by the designated Minister pursuant to paragraph 71(1)(b) and a description of the class of individuals to whom personal information contained in the bank relates,
(ii) the name of the government institution that has control of the bank,
(iii) the title and address of the appropriate officer to whom requests relating to personal information contained in the bank should be sent,
(iv) a statement of the purposes for which personal information in the bank was obtained or compiled and a statement of the uses consistent with those purposes for which the information is used or disclosed,
(v) a statement of the retention and disposal standards applied to personal information in the bank, and
(vi) an indication, where applicable, that the bank was designated as an exempt bank by an order under section 18 and the provision of section 21 or 22 on the basis of which the order was made; and
(b) all classes of personal information under the control of a government institution that are not contained in personal information banks, setting forth in respect of each class
Marginal note:Statement of uses and purposes
(2) The designated Minister may set forth in the index referred to in subsection (1) a statement of any of the uses and purposes, not included in the statements made pursuant to subparagraph (1)(a)(iv), for which personal information contained in any of the personal information banks referred to in the index is used or disclosed on a regular basis.
Marginal note:Index to be made available
(3) The designated Minister shall cause the index referred to in subsection (1) to be made available throughout Canada in conformity with the principle that every person is entitled to reasonable access to the index.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 111, Sch. II “11”
Access to Personal Information
Right of Access
Marginal note:Right of access
12 (1) Subject to this Act, every individual who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act has a right to and shall, on request, be given access to
(a) any personal information about the individual contained in a personal information bank; and
(b) any other personal information about the individual under the control of a government institution with respect to which the individual is able to provide sufficiently specific information on the location of the information as to render it reasonably retrievable by the government institution.
Marginal note:Other rights relating to personal information
(2) Every individual who is given access under paragraph (1)(a) to personal information that has been used, is being used or is available for use for an administrative purpose is entitled to
(a) request correction of the personal information where the individual believes there is an error or omission therein;
(b) require that a notation be attached to the information reflecting any correction requested but not made; and
(c) require that any person or body to whom that information has been disclosed for use for an administrative purpose within two years prior to the time a correction is requested or a notation is required under this subsection in respect of that information
Marginal note:Extension of right of access by order
(3) The Governor in Council may, by order, extend the right to be given access to personal information under subsection (1) to include individuals not referred to in that subsection and may set such conditions as the Governor in Council deems appropriate.
- R.S., 1985, c. P-21, s. 12
- 2001, c. 27, s. 269
Requests for Access
Marginal note:Request for access under paragraph 12(1)(a)
13 (1) A request for access to personal information under paragraph 12(1)(a) shall be made in writing to the government institution that has control of the personal information bank that contains the information and shall identify the bank.
Marginal note:Request for access under 12(1)(b)
(2) A request for access to personal information under paragraph 12(1)(b) shall be made in writing to the government institution that has control of the information and shall provide sufficiently specific information on the location of the information as to render it reasonably retrievable by the government institution.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 111, Sch. II “13”
Marginal note:Notice where access requested
14 Where access to personal information is requested under subsection 12(1), the head of the government institution to which the request is made shall, subject to section 15, within thirty days after the request is received,
(a) give written notice to the individual who made the request as to whether or not access to the information or a part thereof will be given; and
(b) if access is to be given, give the individual who made the request access to the information or the part thereof.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 111, Sch. II “14”
- Date modified: