PART XGeneral Provisions (continued)
(2) [Repealed, SOR/97-85, s. 66]
(3) An inspector may order a person in charge of a motor vehicle that has been used for the transportation of livestock to clean and disinfect, within a specified period of time, the motor vehicle at the nearest place where facilities for that purpose are available or at such other place as the inspector may specify.
(4) [Repealed, SOR/97-85, s. 66]
(5) No person shall bring from a country other that the United States a conveyance that has been used to transport poultry, ruminants, equines or porcines unless it has been cleaned and disinfected.
(5.1) No person shall bring from the United States a conveyance that has been used to transport poultry or porcines unless it has been cleaned and disinfected.
(5.2) Subsection (5.1) does not apply to a conveyance
(a) that has transported Canadian porcines to a slaughtering establishment in the United States where inspection is provided by the Food Safety and Inspection Service of the United States Department of Agriculture and that has returned directly to Canada from that establishment;
(b) that has not transported porcines other than those mentioned in paragraph (a) while in the United States;
(c) that is not licensed to transport livestock between locations in the United States; and
(d) from which as much manure as could be removed with a shovel and broom at an ambient temperature of 20°C has, in fact, been removed.
(6) Every person in charge of a railway car, motor vehicle or container that has been used for the transportation of a commodity that is required to be cleaned and disinfected pursuant to section 107 shall immediately after it is unloaded clean and disinfect the railway car, vehicle or container.
(7) All yards, stables, sheds or other premises used by railway or steamship companies or other persons for the accommodation of animals shall be maintained in a sanitary condition and an inspector may order the person in charge of the yard, stable, shed or other premises to clean and disinfect the premises.
(8) Every railway company and motor carrier shall affix to both sides of every railway car or motor vehicle used to transport a commodity that is required to be cleaned and disinfected pursuant to section 107 a placard stating in bold face letters not less than 1 1/2 inches in height the words “Restricted Import Animal Product” “Produit animal importé sous restriction” and “Clean and Disinfect this Car” “Wagon à nettoyer et à désinfecter”.
(9) In this section, stockyard has the same meaning as in the Livestock and Livestock Products Act.
- SOR/78-597, s. 13
- SOR/79-295, s. 17
- SOR/95-473, s. 11
- SOR/97-85, s. 66
- SOR/98-584, s. 4
- SOR/2015-55, s. 6(F)
107 Where a commodity that is
(a) raw wool, hair or bristles,
(b) untanned hides and skins,
(c) animal glands and organs, or
has been imported into Canada from any country other than the United States, it shall be cleaned, disinfected or treated at the establishment approved by the Minister for that purpose and to which it was transported.
- SOR/97-85, s. 67
108 Every place or thing required to be cleaned and disinfected pursuant to sections 104 to 106 shall be cleaned and disinfected
(a) where applicable, by removing all animal matter, manure, litter and refuse therefrom; and
(b) by applying a disinfectant under the supervision or to the satisfaction of an inspector.
109 (1) A veterinary inspector may order the person conducting a public sale, auction or market of livestock to clean and disinfect the place where such sale, auction or market is conducted, under the supervision or to the satisfaction of an inspector within a time specified by the veterinary inspector.
(2) If the place where a public sale, auction or market of livestock is held is not thoroughly cleaned and disinfected in accordance with the notice of a veterinary inspector, no sale, auction or market of livestock shall be held in such place without the consent of the Minister.
- SOR/2019-99, s. 18(F)
Samples of Milk and Cream from Dairies, etc.
110 Every sample of milk or cream supplied by the operator of a cheese factory, creamery or dairy on the request of the Minister pursuant to section 6 of the Act shall
(a) be refrigerated to a temperature not below 4°C (40°F) and not above 7°C (45°F); and
(b) contain potassium dichromate or other preservative of a strength and quantity that will preserve the sample but not affect the test results.
- SOR/92-585, s. 2
- SOR/95-475, s. 4(E)
Meat, Meat By-products or Carcasses in Feeding Livestock or Poultry
111 [Repealed, SOR/2008-20, s. 1]
112 No person shall feed meat, meat by-products or food that is suspected to contain meat or meat by-products to swine or poultry, or permit swine or poultry to have access to the meat or by-products.
- SOR/85-689, s. 10
- SOR/97-85, s. 68
- SOR/2002-334, s. 1
- SOR/2008-20, s. 1
- SOR/79-839, s. 30
- SOR/97-85, s. 68
113.1 Subject to Part XIV, no person shall feed the carcass of an animal or part of one to livestock or poultry unless
(a) the carcass or part of it has been rendered in a rendering plant in respect of which a permit has been issued in accordance with Part XIV; or
(b) [Repealed, SOR/2008-20, s. 2]
(c) it is processed in a manner which would prevent the introduction into Canada of any reportable disease or any other serious epizootic disease.
- SOR/97-478, s. 15
- SOR/2008-20, s. 2
Disposal of Diseased Carcasses
114 A veterinary inspector may order a person who owns or has the possession, care or control of an animal that has died of, or is suspected of having died of, a communicable disease or that is destroyed under section 27.6, 37 or 48 of the Act to dispose of the carcass in any manner that the veterinary inspector specifies.
- SOR/92-585, s. 2
- SOR/95-475, s. 4(E)
- SOR/2019-99, s. 13
Animal Semen Production Centre
- SOR/97-85, s. 69
115 (1) No person shall operate an animal semen production centre or collect or process semen from a ruminant or porcine except under and in accordance with a permit issued by the Minister under section 160.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person who collects animal semen that is used only for evaluating the quality of the semen and that is not used in or exposed to any live animal.
- SOR/97-478, s. 16
116 Every person who operates an animal semen production centre shall immediately segregate any animal that has been exposed to a communicable disease from all other animals in the centre that have not been exposed to the disease, or remove the exposed animal from the centre.
- SOR/78-69, s. 35
- SOR/78-205, s. 5
- SOR/79-295, s. 18
- SOR/97-85, s. 70
- SOR/97-478, s. 16
117 (1) No person shall collect in an animal semen production centre or store in or distribute from such a centre or from an animal semen distribution centre, any animal semen that is affected with or has been exposed to a communicable disease that is capable of being transmitted in semen.
(2) Where animal semen that is affected with or has been exposed to a communicable disease that is capable of being transmitted in semen has been collected in an animal semen production centre or has been stored in such a centre or in an animal semen distribution centre, the person operating the centre shall immediately destroy the semen under the supervision of an inspector.
118 Where an inspector finds that animal semen stored in an animal semen production centre or animal semen distribution centre or other place is contaminated by bacteria, a virus or any other micro-organism capable of introducing disease in animals, he may cause all or any semen of the animal from which the contaminated semen was collected to be destroyed or order the person having the possession, care or custody of the animal semen to destroy any or all of it.
- Date modified: