Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada


Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (SOR/2002-227)

Regulations are current to 2024-06-19 and last amended on 2024-06-19. Previous Versions

Marginal note:Fee — $155

  •  (1) A fee of $155 is payable for processing an application for a work permit.

  • Marginal note:Exception

    (2) The following persons are not required to pay the fee referred to in subsection (1):

    • (a) a person in Canada who has made a refugee claim that has not yet been determined by the Refugee Protection Division, and their family members;

    • (b) a person in Canada on whom refugee protection has been conferred, and their family members;

    • (c) a person who is a member of the Convention refugees abroad class or a member of a humanitarian-protected persons abroad class, and their family members;

    • (d) a person who holds a study permit and is temporarily destitute, as described in paragraph 208(a);

    • (e) a person whose work in Canada is designated under subparagraph 205(c)(i);

    • (f) a person who works in Canada for a Canadian religious or charitable organization, without remuneration;

    • (g) a person whose work in Canada would create or maintain reciprocal employment for Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada in other countries and who is a family member of

      • (i) a properly accredited diplomat, consular officer, representative or official of a country other than Canada, of the United Nations or any of its agencies or of any intergovernmental organization of which Canada is a member,

      • (ii) a member of the armed forces of a country that is a designated state for the purposes of the Visiting Forces Act, including a person who has been designated as a civilian component of that visiting force under paragraph 4(c) of that Act, or

      • (iii) an officer of a foreign government sent, under an exchange agreement between Canada and one or more countries, to take up duties with a federal or provincial agency;

    • (h) a person who works in Canada under an agreement entered into with a country by Canada or by or on behalf of a province, that provides for reciprocal employment opportunities of an artistic, cultural or educational nature;

    • (i) a person whose work in Canada is pursuant to an international student or young workers reciprocal employment program;

    • (j) a person who works in Canada as an officer of the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service or of United States Customs carrying out pre-inspection duties, as an American member of the International Joint Commission or as a United States grain inspector, and their family members;

    • (k) a United States Government official in possession of an official United States passport who is assigned to a temporary posting in Canada, and their family members; and

    • (l) a person described in section 207.1.

  • Marginal note:Maximum fee — group

    (3) The total amount of fees payable under subsection (1) by a group of three or more persons consisting of performing artists and their staff who apply together and at the same time for a work permit is $465.

Date modified: