Powers of Superintendent
17 (1) The superintendent shall, taking into account the necessity of protecting timber and of preserving, conserving and managing the park generally, including the maintenance or restoration of its ecological integrity, determine in respect of each harvesting season those areas in the park in which harvesting will be permitted or restricted.
(2) The superintendent shall post notices containing a description of the areas and their status under subsection (1) at park warden offices and information centres in the park.
18 The superintendent may, at any time, for the purposes of park management, public safety or the conservation of natural resources, close areas of the park to harvesting.
19 Based on the determinations made under sections 17 and 18, the superintendent shall, in respect of each harvesting season, determine the maximum quantity of any type of timber that may be harvested under timber harvesting permits in any area of the park.
Suspension and Revocation
20 (1) The superintendent may suspend a timber harvesting permit if the permit holder or authorized person, if any, contravenes any provision of these Regulations or any condition of the permit.
(2) The superintendent shall reinstate a suspended timber harvesting permit
(a) if the contravention that led to the suspension has been corrected;
(b) after the expiry of a period of 30 days following the day on which the permit was suspended, unless proceedings have been instituted before the end of that period in respect of the alleged contravention; or
(c) if proceedings are instituted, after the person charged — the permit holder or the authorized person — has been found not guilty of an offence in respect of the alleged contravention or after the proceedings against them have been discontinued.
(3) The superintendent shall revoke a timber harvesting permit if
(a) the permit holder or authorized person, if any, is convicted of an offence in respect of a contravention of any provision of these Regulations or any condition of the permit; or
(b) the permit has been suspended twice during the period for which it was issued and was not reinstated under paragraph (2)(b) or (c).
Decisions of Superintendent
21 If the superintendent refuses to issue, or suspends or revokes, a timber harvesting permit, the superintendent shall, as soon as possible after making their decision, provide written notice of their decision, including reasons, to the applicant or permit holder, as applicable.
22 (1) Any person to whom the superintendent has refused to issue a timber harvesting permit, or whose timber harvesting permit has been suspended or revoked by the superintendent, may request a review of the superintendent's decision by submitting a request in writing to the Chief Executive Officer within 30 days after receipt by that person of the notice referred to in section 21.
(2) On receipt of a written request for review, the Chief Executive Officer shall require that the superintendent issue or reinstate the timber harvesting permit if the Chief Executive Officer reaches a decision that differs from the superintendent's decision with respect
(a) in the case of a refusal, to the requirements and matters to be considered under sections 7 and 8; and
(b) in the case of a suspension or revocation, to the reasons set out in section 20.
(3) The Chief Executive Officer shall provide written notice of their decision, including reasons, to the person who requested the review.
Coming into Force
23 These Regulations come into force on October 1, 2005.
- Date modified: