Payment of Principal and Interest
Marginal note:Payment begins
4 The borrower must begin to repay the principal amount of any apprentice loan made to them, and interest, on the last day of the month in which interest started accruing.
- SOR/2019-215, s. 4
Marginal note:Amount determined by Minister
5 (1) For the purposes of section 7 of the Act, the special payment amount for a province as determined by the Minister after consultation with the Chief Statistician of Canada is the amount for the fiscal year that is obtained by multiplying the total costs for the fiscal year for provinces where apprentices registered with those provinces are able to enter into apprentice loan agreements for the fiscal year, by the ratio of the estimated number of persons in the province in question who are at least 16 years of age but less than 65, to the estimated number of persons of those ages in provinces where apprentices registered with those provinces are able to enter into apprentice loan agreements.
Marginal note:Total costs
(2) In this section, total costs for a fiscal year means the amount determined by the formula
A + B - C
- is the estimated aggregate of all amounts paid by the Minister in that fiscal year to service providers under the Act and to collection agencies in respect of apprentice loans;
- is the estimated aggregate of
(a) the amount of interest calculated at the rate of interest referred to in subsection (3) in that fiscal year in respect of outstanding apprentice loans referred to in the description of A made under an apprentice loan agreement,
(b) the amount by which the outstanding principal in respect of all apprentice loans referred to in paragraph (a) has been reduced in that fiscal year in accordance with these Regulations,
(c) the amount of the outstanding principal and interest in respect of all apprentice loans referred to in paragraph (a) for which the borrower’s obligations have terminated in that fiscal year as a result of the death or severe permanent disability of the borrower, and
(d) the amount of the outstanding principal and interest in respect of all apprentice loans referred to in paragraph (a) for which the Minister has commenced collection action in that fiscal year, minus the amount of the outstanding principal and interest in respect of apprentice loans referred to in that paragraph for which the Minister has ended collection action in that fiscal year due to the occurrence of an event described in section 7 that resulted in the removal of restrictions to financial assistance; and
- is the estimated aggregate of
(a) the amount of interest received by or on behalf of Her Majesty in right of Canada in that fiscal year in respect of apprentice loans, and
(b) any amounts received by or on behalf of Her Majesty in right of Canada in that fiscal year pursuant to collection action taken by the Minister in respect of apprentice loans.
Marginal note:Rate of interest
(3) The rate of interest for the purposes of paragraph (a) of the description of B in subsection (2) is the average percentage yield, during the fiscal year in question, of Benchmark Bonds issued by the Government of Canada maturing in 10 years, as published by the Bank of Canada.
Restrictions on Obtaining Financial Assistance
Marginal note:Denial of loan
(a) in the 36 months before the day on which they make their application for an apprentice loan, has been in default — in at least three instances — for over 90 days in paying an instalment under at least three loans or other debts each in an amount over $1000; or
(b) is in receipt of a student loan for the same technical training period.
Definition of applicable day
(2) For the purposes of this section, applicable day means
(a) if the Minister is informed that the borrower has failed to make a payment within the two-month period after the day on which the payment is required under their apprentice loan agreement or these Regulations and they do not fulfil the requirements either of section 2, or of section 3 in respect of an interest-free period, the day following the day on which interest starts accruing in accordance with section 3;
(b) if the borrower makes an assignment under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act that is filed and not cancelled, is deemed under that Act to have made an assignment, or is the subject of a receiving order, the earlier of the day on which a receiving order is made or the assignment is filed with the official receiver;
(d) if the borrower makes a consumer proposal under Division II of Part III of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act that is approved or deemed approved by a court under that Act, the day on which the consumer proposal is approved or deemed approved;
(f) if the borrower seeks relief under a provincial law relating to the orderly payment of debts that includes an apprentice loan, the day on which the document seeking relief is filed;
(g) if the borrower is, by reason of his or her conduct in obtaining or repaying an apprentice loan, found guilty of an offence under any Act of Parliament, the day of the finding of guilt;
(h) if the borrower fails to comply with subsection 11(1) or 13(1), section 15 or subsection 17(3), the 30th day after the last day of the applicable repayment assistance period;
(i) if the borrower has been granted repayment assistance under subsection 13(2), the day on which the repayment assistance period begins;
(j) if the borrower has been granted interest-free periods for a cumulative period of six years, the day after the last day of that period;
(l) if a measure is taken in respect of the borrower under subsection 20(1) of the Act or under section 17.1 of the Canada Student Financial Assistance Act, the day after the day on which 60 days’ notice given under subsection 20(2) of the Act or subsection 17.1(3) of the Canada Student Financial Assistance Act expires;
(m) if five disbursements have already been made to the borrower under these Regulations, the day after the day on which the borrower received the last disbursement under an apprentice loan agreement; or
Marginal note:Denial of loan or termination of interest-free period
(3) Subject to subsections (5) and (7),
(a) if an event described in any of paragraphs (2)(a) to (n) occurs, the Minister may, effective on the applicable day for that event, deny the borrower a new apprentice loan; and
(b) if an event described in any of paragraphs (2)(a) to (l) occurs, the Minister may, effective on the applicable day for that event, terminate any interest-free period under all outstanding apprentice loans made to the borrower.
Marginal note:Termination of repayment assistance
(4) If an event described in paragraph 2(g) or (h) occurs, the Minister must terminate any repayment assistance granted to the borrower under section 10 or 12 and refuse to grant further repayment assistance.
Marginal note:Loan received erroneously
(5) If an event described in paragraph (2)(a) occurs in respect of an apprentice loan made to a borrower and, subsequent to that event, the borrower erroneously receives an apprentice loan,
Marginal note:New loan or interest-free period
(6) If, before the last day of the apprenticeship program in which the borrower is registered at the time the event occurs, an event described in any of paragraphs (2)(b) to (f) occurs in respect of an apprentice loan made to a borrower, the borrower is entitled, if otherwise eligible, to a new apprentice loan or an interest-free period for that apprenticeship program.
Marginal note:Subsection (3) measures delayed
(7) If the borrower receives a new apprentice loan or an interest-free period under subsection (6), the measures referred to in subsection (3) take effect on the earlier of
- SOR/2019-215, s. 5
- Date modified: