Index of Accounts
Text Pertaining to Retained Earnings Accounts
The balance in all retained earnings accounts shall be closed to balance sheet account 212 (Retained Earnings) at the end of such calendar year or other fiscal year as is approved by the Commission for the closing of the company’s accounts.
- Balance Transferred from Income
This account shall show the debit or credit balances brought forward from the income accounts for the fiscal year.
- Prior Period Adjustments
(1) Unless otherwise directed by the Commission, a company shall include in this account all material adjustments to the income of prior fiscal years when such adjustments have all four of the characteristics set out in subsection 78(1).
(2) Representative List of Items of Prior Period Adjustments to be included. (See section 14 of these Regulations)
- Miscellaneous Retained Earnings Adjustments
- Income Tax Applicable to Retained Earnings Adjustments
This account shall include the estimated federal, provincial or other government income taxes (debit or credit) assignable to the aggregate of items, of both taxable income and deductions from taxable income, that, for accounting purposes, are recorded in retaining earnings accounts.
- Dividend Appropriations
(1) This account shall include the amount of dividends declared out of retained earnings during the year on all classes of outstanding shares.
(2) Subsidiary records shall be maintained showing separately the dividends declared on each class of shares.
(3) When dividends are paid in other than money, complete details of each transaction shall be maintained.
(4) Dividends declared out of contributed surplus shall be debited to account 210 (Contributed Surplus).
- SOR/2020-50, s. 11
- SOR/2020-50, s. 13(F)
- Date modified: