Marginal note:Authorized disclosure of information
19. (1) Information obtained in the performance of the duties and functions of the Service under this Act shall not be disclosed by the Service except in accordance with this section.
(2) The Service may disclose information referred to in subsection (1) for the purposes of the performance of its duties and functions under this Act or the administration or enforcement of this Act or as required by any other law and may also disclose such information,
(a) where the information may be used in the investigation or prosecution of an alleged contravention of any law of Canada or a province, to a peace officer having jurisdiction to investigate the alleged contravention and to the Attorney General of Canada and the Attorney General of the province in which proceedings in respect of the alleged contravention may be taken;
(b) where the information relates to the conduct of the international affairs of Canada, to the Minister of Foreign Affairs or a person designated by the Minister of Foreign Affairs for the purpose;
(c) where the information is relevant to the defence of Canada, to the Minister of National Defence or a person designated by the Minister of National Defence for the purpose; or
(d) where, in the opinion of the Minister, disclosure of the information to any minister of the Crown or person in the federal public administration is essential in the public interest and that interest clearly outweighs any invasion of privacy that could result from the disclosure, to that minister or person.
Marginal note:Report to Review Committee
(3) The Director shall, as soon as practicable after a disclosure referred to in paragraph (2)(d) is made, submit a report to the Review Committee with respect to the disclosure.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-23, s. 19;
- 1995, c. 5, s. 25;
- 2003, c. 22, s. 224(E).
Marginal note:Protection of employees
20. (1) The Director and employees have, in performing the duties and functions of the Service under this Act, the same protection under the law as peace officers have in performing their duties and functions as peace officers.
Marginal note:Unlawful conduct
(2) If the Director is of the opinion that an employee may, on a particular occasion, have acted unlawfully in the purported performance of the duties and functions of the Service under this Act, the Director shall cause to be submitted a report in respect thereof to the Minister.
Marginal note:Report and comments to Attorney General of Canada
(3) The Minister shall cause to be given to the Attorney General of Canada a copy of any report that he receives pursuant to subsection (2), together with any comment that he considers appropriate in the circumstances.
Marginal note:Copies to Review Committee
(4) A copy of anything given to the Attorney General of Canada pursuant to subsection (3) shall be given forthwith to the Review Committee.
- 1984, c. 21, s. 20.
- Date modified: