Objects of the Commission
13. Subject to this Act and any directions to the Commission issued from time to time under this Act by the Governor in Council or the Minister, the Commission shall, in the interests of the grain producers, establish and maintain standards of quality for Canadian grain and regulate grain handling in Canada, to ensure a dependable commodity for domestic and export markets.
- 1970-71-72, c. 7, s. 11.
Functions of the Commission
14. (1) Subject to this Act, the Commission shall, in furtherance of its objects,
(a) recommend and establish grain grades and standards for those grades and implement a system of grading and inspection for Canadian grain to reflect adequately the quality of that grain and meet the need for efficient marketing in and outside Canada;
(b) establish and apply standards and procedures regulating the handling, transportation and storage of grain and the facilities used therefor;
(c) conduct investigations and hold hearings on matters within the powers of the Commission;
(d) manage, operate and maintain every elevator constructed or acquired by Her Majesty in right of Canada, the administration of which is assigned by the Governor in Council to the Commission;
(e) undertake, sponsor and promote research in relation to grain and grain products and, in so doing,
(i) wherever appropriate, utilize technical, economic and statistical information and advice from any department or agency of the Government of Canada, and
(ii) maintain an efficient and adequately equipped laboratory;
(e.1) monitor compliance with end-use certificates provided pursuant to section 87.1; and
(f) advise the Minister in respect of such matters relating to grain, grain products and screenings as the Minister may refer to the Commission for its consideration.
(2) The Commission shall not, in operating any elevator as a primary elevator pursuant to paragraph (1)(d), purchase grain.
(3) The Commission may, by by-law, authorize any person to exercise or perform on the Commission’s behalf, subject to such restrictions or limitations as the Commission may specify, any of the powers, duties or functions of the Commission under this Act other than the power to make any regulation, order or by-law.
- R.S., 1985, c. G-10, s. 14;
- R.S., 1985, c. 37 (4th Supp.), s. 4;
- 1988, c. 65, s. 124.
15. The Commission shall during the month of February in each year submit to the Minister a report, in such form as the Minister may direct, on the activities of the Commission during the crop year immediately preceding and the Minister shall cause the report to be laid before Parliament within fifteen days after the receipt thereof or, if Parliament is not then sitting, on any of the first fifteen days next thereafter that either House of Parliament is sitting.
- 1970-71-72, c. 7, s. 14.
- Date modified: