Constitutions of the Board
Marginal note:The Director of Soldier Settlement
3. (1) The person who from time to time holds the office of the Deputy Minister of Veterans Affairs or such person as the Deputy Minister may designate is, by virtue of holding that office or by virtue of that designation, as the case may be, the Director of Soldier Settlement.
Marginal note:Powers of Director Transportation
(2) The Director of Soldier Settlement shall have and exercise all the powers and authority heretofore vested in the Soldier Settlement Board, and shall have and be accorded the same rights or privileges as to transportation free or at reduced rates upon railways as are from time to time enjoyed by a deputy head of a department.
(3) There shall be paid monthly to the Director of Soldier Settlement such salary and at such rate per annum as the Governor in Council shall fix and allow.
Marginal note:Reference to the Board deemed a reference to the Director
(4) In this Act and in any regulations made under it, unless the context otherwise requires, any reference to the Board or to any Commissioner of the Board shall be deemed to be a reference to the Director of Soldier Settlement.
(5) [Repealed, 2000, c. 34, s. 47]
- R.S., 1927, c. 188, s. 3;
- 1931, c. 53, s. 3;
- 2000, c. 34, s. 47.
Corporate Powers of the Board
Marginal note:Director to be a corporation sole and agent of Crown in right of Canada
4. (1) For the purposes of acquiring, holding, conveying and transferring and of agreeing to convey, acquire or transfer any of the property which he is by this Act authorized to acquire, hold, convey, transfer, agree to convey or agree to transfer, but for such purposes only the Director of Soldier Settlement shall be a corporation sole and as such the agent of the Crown in the right of the Dominion of Canada, except as hereinafter provided.
Marginal note:Property to vest in the Director Director not subject to enactment respecting corporations
(2) All property acquired for any of the purposes of this Act shall vest in the Director of Soldier Settlement as such corporation sole; but these provisions shall not in anywise restrict, impair or affect the powers conferred upon the Director of Soldier Settlement generally by this Act nor subject him to the provisions of any enactment of the Dominion or of any province respecting corporations.
Marginal note:Seal of Director
(3) The Director of Soldier Settlement in his corporate capacity shall have an impress seal inscribed with the words “The Director of Soldier Settlement of Canada” and showing the coat of arms of Canada.
Marginal note:Execution of documents Evidence
(4) All documents which require execution by the Director of Soldier Settlement in his corporate capacity shall be deemed validly executed if the said seal is affixed and the name of the Director of Soldier Settlement is signed thereto, the whole in the presence of one other person who has subscribed his name as witness; and every document which purports to have been impressed with the seal of the Soldier Settlement Board and sealed and signed in the presence of a witness by a commissioner on behalf of the said Board or which purports to be impressed with the seal of the Director of Soldier Settlement and to be sealed and signed in the presence of a witness by the Director of Soldier Settlement shall be admissible in evidence in all courts in Canada without proof of any such seal or of such sealing or signing.
Marginal note:Land deemed to be held by Director as corporation sole
(5) Any land vested in the Director of Soldier Settlement in respect of which an assessment has been duly made by a taxing authority at any time since the first day of January, 1933, is hereby declared for the purpose of recourse to the land itself for realization for taxes based upon such assessment and for such purpose only to be and from the said first day of January, 1933, to have been held by the said Director of Soldier Settlement as such corporation sole and not as an agent of the Crown in the right of the Dominion of Canada.
- R.S., 1927, c. 188, s. 4;
- 1931, c. 53, s. 4;
- 1934, c. 41, ss. 1, 2.
- Date modified: