Marginal note:Training and instruction in agriculture and economics, and allowances to settlers for same
14. The Board may, with the approval of the Governor in Council, make provision for
(a) the placing of settlers with farmers for instruction in farming;
(b) the establishment of agricultural training stations for settlers;
(c) the supply of instructors and inspectors to visit and assist settlers with information and instruction in farming;
(d) the training in home economics of the wives and female dependents of settlers; and
(e) the payment of subsistence allowances to settlers, for themselves and their dependents, while such settlers are in receipt of such instruction or training.
- 1919, c. 71, s. 14.
Marginal note:Free soldier grants
15. The Minister may issue, free, to any settler a soldier grant for not more than one quarter section, of one hundred and sixty acres, more or less, of lands reserved pursuant to section six of this Act.
Marginal note:To whom grants not to be accorded
2. Unless the Board shall, for special reasons, otherwise recommend, no such free grant shall be made to any settler who
(a) has, pursuant to the provisions of this Act, purchased from the Board any land, or
(b) has, pursuant to the provisions of this or of the former Act, secured from the Board any advance of money for the clearing of encumbrances on, or the purchase of, or the improvement of, any land, or
(c) is owner of or has a vested, possessory interest in, agricultural land of such area as, in the opinion of the Board, constitutes an average farm for the district within which the land is situate, or which, in the opinion of the Board, is of the value of five thousand dollars.
Marginal note:Conditions provided by Governor in Council
3. The Governor in Council may provide, as respects such free grants, such conditions of improvement and occupation as he deems necessary to secure the use of the land for the purposes for which it is granted.
- 1919, c. 71, s. 15.
SALES AND ADVANCES TO SETTLERS
Sales of Land
Marginal note:Conditions of sale and conveyance of lands by Board to settlers
16. The Board may sell, or dispose of, and, upon full payment made, may convey, to settlers, any lands granted, conveyed or transferred to or acquired by it, or which it may have power to sell or dispose of, but subject in every case of sale of lands acquired by purchase, whether by agreement or compulsorily, to the following provisions: —
(a) where the parcel to be sold has been separately acquired the sale price shall be the cost of the parcel to the Board;
(b) where the parcel to be sold has been acquired as portion of one or more other parcels the sale price shall be such amount as, in the opinion of the Board, bears the same proportion of the cost of the entire parcel or parcels so acquired as the value of the parcel to be sold bears to the value of the parcel or parcels so acquired;
(c) the terms of payment shall be all cash down, or, at the option of the settler, not less than ten per centum cash down and the balance payable in twenty-five or less equal, consecutive, annual instalments, with interest at five per centum per annum, on the amortization plan, with full privilege of prepayment: provided that the Board may, in the case of a special settler, dispense the settler from the making of the whole or any part of the cash down payment, in which case the full or the remaining portion of the sale price shall be paid, in manner hereinbefore provided with respect to a balance of such price, by instalments;
(d) no sale shall be made of a larger area than three hundred and twenty acres, unless, in the opinion of the Board, owing to the character of the land, such acreage will not be adequate to enable successful farming operations, nor, except in the case of a settler who is within the terms of the proviso in the next preceding paragraph of this section, shall the balance of sale price left unpaid to the Board at the time of sale exceed four thousand five hundred dollars, nor in the excepted case shall the balance or amount left unpaid exceed five thousand dollars.
- 1919, c. 71, s. 16.
- Date modified: