Flowers, Herbs, Roots, Vegetables and Other Miscellaneous Seed including Onion Sets and Multiplier Onions
30. Every package of seed of the kinds or species set out in Tables XVI to XXI to Schedule I and any kinds or species not set out in Schedule I shall be labelled with the following information:
(a) the name and address of the seller, packager or labeller;
(b) the name of the kind or species — and of the variety, if applicable — of the seed, or in the case of mixtures, the name of each kind or species — and of the varieties — of the seed, if applicable;
(c) if the seed is sold or offered for sale on the basis of grade, the name of the grade of the particular seed; and
(d) if a germination standard is prescribed for a particular kind or species under subsection 6(1) and the seed is not sold on the basis of a grade of a seed,
(i) the year in which the seed was tested for germination pursuant to the appropriate test prescribed by section 11 or the year for which the seed was packaged, and
(ii) the percentage of germination of the seed or a minimum guaranteed percentage of germination.
- SOR/96-252, s. 2;
- SOR/2007-223, s. 16.
31. (1) All seed that is specialty seed shall be labelled to indicate the kind or species of seed and the approximate percentage or net quantity of seed in the product.
(2) Every package of seed that is a specialty seed shall be labelled with the following information:
(a) the name and address of the seller, packager or labeller; and
(b) the name of the grade of the seed, if applicable.
(3) In addition to the labelling requirements referred to in subsection (2), every package of seed that is a specialty seed shall be labelled with the information required by the appropriate section of these Regulations with respect to that seed.
- SOR/96-252, s. 2;
- SOR/2007-223, s. 17.
Seed Packaging and Official Tags
32. (1) An official tag shall only be applied by or under the direction of an inspector or accredited grader.
(2) Except where seed is labelled with a Canada Substandard grade name, an official tag shall only contain the information required pursuant to sections 33 to 36.
- SOR/96-252, s. 2.
33. (1) Subject to subsection (3) and sections 35 and 37, every package of seed derived from a crop grown and conditioned in Canada and graded with a Canada pedigreed grade name shall be fastened and tagged with a domestic tag.
(2) The domestic tag shall contain the following information:
(a) the name of the kind or species of seed;
(b) the name of the grade of the seed;
(c) the variety name of the seed, or in the case of a PPTM varietal blend, the names of the varieties in the blend;
(d) except in the case of a mixture set out in Table III, XIII or XIV of Schedule I, the crop certificate number or, in the case of a blend of two or more original seed lots of certified status, whether of the same variety or a PPTM varietal blend, the two-digit seed year designation followed by the word “BLEND”; and
(e) the lot number.
(3) An approved conditioner registered pursuant to Part IV is exempt from subsection (1) where
(a) the seed is of certified status;
(b) the package of seed has been fastened and labelled by that approved conditioner;
(c) the name of the seller, packager or labeller is marked on the package, and
(i) the information required by subsection (2) is marked on the package and the layout of the information, the area marked and the colour conform to the domestic tag, or
(ii) in the case of packages containing 2 kg or less of seed, the words “Certified Seed” appear in a blue rectangle that meets the colour requirements of the official tag and that has a length to width ratio of approximately 2:1 and the information set out in paragraphs (2)(a) to (c) and (e) appears elsewhere on the package; and
(d) in the case of packages referred to in subparagraph (c)(i), each time the approved conditioner proposes to obtain those packages, the approved conditioner notifies the Agency of that proposal.
(4) The approved conditioner referred to in subsection (3) shall maintain complete and up-to-date records concerning the requests for and disposal of any package referred to in that subsection for a period of not less than two years following the disposal of the package.
- SOR/86-429, s. 1;
- SOR/96-252, s. 2;
- SOR/2000-184, s. 89;
- SOR/2007-223, s. 18;
- SOR/2012-13, s. 5.
- Date modified: