64. If an interior deck on a vessel is normally wet and employees on the vessel do not use non-slip waterproof footwear, the deck must be covered with a dry false floor or platform or treated with a non-slip product or substance.
65. Each container that is used for solid or liquid waste in a work place must
(a) be equipped with a tight-fitting cover;
(b) be constructed so that it can be easily cleaned and maintained in a sanitary condition;
(c) be leak-proof; and
(d) if there may be internal pressure in the container, be designed so that the pressure is relieved by controlled ventilation.
66. (1) As far as practicable, each enclosed part of a work place, personal service room, galley or pantry must be constructed, equipped and maintained in a manner that will prevent the entry of vermin.
(2) If vermin have entered any enclosed part of a work place, personal service room, galley or pantry, the employer must immediately take all steps necessary to eliminate the vermin and prevent their re-entry.
67. A person must not use a personal service room for the purpose of storing equipment or supplies unless a closet fitted with a door is provided in that room for that purpose.
68. (1) All reasonable steps must be taken to ensure that personal service rooms are kept mold and mycosis free.
(2) In each personal service room and galley, the decks, partitions and bulkheads must be constructed so that they can be easily cleaned and maintained in a sanitary condition.
69. The deck and lower 150 mm of any partition or bulkhead that is in contact with the deck in a galley or sanitary facility must be watertight and impervious to moisture.
70. In every sanitary facility, the employer must provide
(a) toilet paper on a holder or in a dispenser in each toilet compartment;
(b) powdered or liquid soap or other sanitizing agent in a dispenser at each wash basin or between adjoining wash basins;
(c) sufficient sanitary hand drying facilities to serve the number of employees using the sanitary facility;
(d) a non-combustible container for used disposable towels if disposable towels are provided; and
(e) a covered container lined with a plastic bag for the disposal of sanitary napkins, if the sanitary facility is provided for the use of female employees.
71. In every personal service room that contains a wash basin, the employer must provide
(a) powdered or liquid soap or other sanitizing agent in a dispenser at each wash basin or between adjoining wash basins;
(b) sufficient sanitary hand drying facilities to serve the number of employees using the personal service room; and
(c) a non-combustible container for the disposal of used towels if towels are provided.
- Date modified: