Food Waste and Garbage
9.39 (1) No food waste or garbage shall be stored in a food preparation area.
(2) Food waste and garbage shall be handled and removed from a food preparation area or lunch room in accordance with subsections (3) to (5).
(3) Wet food waste and garbage shall be
(a) disposed of by mechanical grinders or choppers connected to sewage disposal lines; or
(b) held in leak-proof, non-absorptive, easily-cleaned containers with tight-fitting covers in a separate enclosed area or container until removal for disposal.
(4) Dry food waste and garbage shall be removed or incinerated.
(5) Food waste and garbage containers shall be kept covered and the food waste and garbage removed as frequently as is necessary to prevent unsanitary conditions.
(6) Food waste and garbage containers shall, each time they are emptied, be cleansed and disinfected in an area separate from the food preparation area.
- SOR/88-632, s. 36(F).
9.40 Every lunch room provided by the employer
(a) shall be separated from any place where a hazardous substance may contaminate food, dishes or utensils;
(b) shall not be used for any purpose that is incompatible with its use as a lunch room;
(c) shall not have any dimension of less than 2.3 m;
(d) shall have a minimum floor area of 9 m2;
(e) shall have 1.1 m2 of floor area for each of the employees who normally use the room at any one time;
(f) shall be furnished with a sufficient number of tables and seats to accommodate adequately the number of employees normally using the lunch room at any one time; and
(g) shall be provided with non-combustible covered receptacles for the disposal of waste food or other waste material.
- SOR/88-68, s. 14;
- SOR/88-632, s. 37(F);
- SOR/2001-321, s. 1;
- SOR/2002-208, s. 43(F).
9.41 (1) Each personal service room and food preparation area shall be ventilated to provide at least two changes of air per hour
(a) by mechanical means, where the room is normally used by 10 or more employees at any one time; or
(b) by mechanical means or natural ventilation through a window or similar opening, where the room is used by fewer than 10 employees if
(i) the window or similar opening is located on an outside wall of the room, and
(ii) not less than 0.2 m2 of unobstructed ventilation is provided for each of the employees who normally use the room at any one time.
(2) Where an employer provides ventilation by mechanical means in accordance with paragraph (1)(a), the amount of air provided for a type of room set out in Column I of an item of the schedule to this Part shall be not less than that set out in Column II of that item.
(3) Where an employer provides for the ventilation of a food preparation area or a lunch room by mechanical means in accordance with paragraph (1)(a), the rate of change of air shall be not less than nine litres per second for each employee who is normally employed in the food preparation area at any one time or for each employee who uses the lunch room at any one time.
- SOR/88-632, s. 38(F).
- Date modified: