PART XIVFish Stocks
69 For the purposes of section 6.3 of the Act, the major fish stocks referred to in sections 6.1 and 6.2 of the Act are listed in the table in Schedule IX.
70 (1) A plan to rebuild a major fish stock, required under subsection 6.2(1) of the Act, shall contain the following information:
(a) the stock status and stock trends;
(b) the probable causes for the stock’s decline;
(c) measurable objectives aimed at rebuilding the stock, including a target for rebuilding the stock;
(d) the timelines for achieving the objectives;
(e) the management measures aimed at achieving the objectives;
(f) a method to track progress towards achieving the objectives; and
(g) a schedule for a periodic review of the plan in order to assess progress towards achieving the objectives and to determine whether an adjustment to the plan is needed.
(2) The plan shall be developed within 24 months after the day on which the Minister first had knowledge that the major fish stock had declined to or below its limit reference point.
(3) The Minister may extend the time period to the extent necessary for completing the plan, by a period not exceeding 12 months.
(4) If the Minister extends the time period, the Minister shall publish the reasons for doing so on the Internet site of the Department.
(5) If fishing of the major fish stock while the plan is being developed is permitted by the Minister, the Minister shall ensure that the level of fishing of the stock during that time is consistent with the rebuilding of the stock above the limit reference point.
(6) Despite paragraph 1(d), if the Minister determines that it is not feasible to establish a timeline for achieving the target for rebuilding the major fish stock, the plan shall include, instead of such a timeline, the reasons why it is not feasible to do so.
(7) The Minister shall publish the plan to rebuild a major fish stock and the results of any periodic review of the plan on the Internet site of the Department.
- Date modified: