AMENDMENTS NOT IN FORCE
— 2019, c. 29, s. 215
215 The Act is amended by adding the following after section 6.5:
6.6 (1) A person may, in the form and manner specified by the Minister, apply to the Minister for an order that exempts any person or thing, or class of persons or things, from the application of any provision of an Act of Parliament that the Minister administers or enforces or any provision of an instrument made under that Act.
(2) The Minister may, on receiving the application, require the provision of any information that is necessary for the Minister to process and assess the application.
Debts to Her Majesty
(3) The Minister may refuse to process or assess the application if the applicant has not paid an amount that, under an Act of Parliament that the Minister administers or enforces, constitutes a debt due to Her Majesty in right of Canada.
6.7 (1) The Minister may, by order, exempt, for a period of not more than five years and subject to any conditions that the Minister considers appropriate, any person or thing, or class of persons or things, from the application of any provision of an Act of Parliament that the Minister administers or enforces or any provision of an instrument made under that Act, if the Minister is of the opinion that the exemption, having regard to the purposes of that Act, is in the public interest and that the exemption promotes innovation in transportation through research, development or testing.
(2) The Minister may, by order, extend the period of an exemption once, for a further period of not more than five years, subject to any conditions that the Minister considers appropriate.
(4) The Minister shall ensure that an order referred to in subsection (3) is accessible to the public unless the Minister is of the opinion that it would be inappropriate for reasons that include safety or security considerations or the protection of confidential or personal information.
Exemptions under other Act
(5) For greater certainty, the making of an order under subsection (1) does not preclude or limit the exercise of a power to exempt under an Act of Parliament that is administered or enforced by the Minister and vice versa.
6.8 The Minister may recover any costs associated with the processing and assessing of an application under section 6.6 and may refuse to make the order requested until those costs are recovered from the applicant.
— 2019, c. 29, s. 277
- Date modified: