PART IAdministration (continued)
Canadian Transportation Agency (continued)
(2) Each member is entitled to be paid reasonable travel and living expenses incurred by the member in carrying out duties under this Act or any other Act of Parliament while absent from the member’s ordinary place of work.
Marginal note:Members — retirement pensions
Marginal note:Temporary members not included
(2) A temporary member is deemed not to be employed in the public service for the purposes of the Public Service Superannuation Act unless the Governor in Council, by order, deems the member to be so employed for those purposes.
Marginal note:Accident compensation
(3) For the purposes of the Government Employees Compensation Act and any regulation made pursuant to section 9 of the Aeronautics Act, a member is deemed to be an employee in the federal public administration.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 12
- 2003, c. 22, ss. 224(E), 225(E)
- 2015, c. 3, s. 33(E)
Marginal note:Duties of Chairperson
13 The Chairperson is the chief executive officer of the Agency and has the supervision over and direction of the work of the members and its staff, including the apportionment of work among the members and the assignment of members to deal with any matter before the Agency.
Marginal note:Absence of Chairperson
14 In the event of the absence or incapacity of the Chairperson or if the office of Chairperson is vacant, the Vice-Chairperson has all the powers and shall perform all the duties and functions of the Chairperson.
Marginal note:Absence of both Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson
15 The Chairperson may authorize one or more of the members to act as Chairperson for the time being if both the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson are absent or unable to act.
Marginal note:Quorum lost because of incapacity of member
(2) Where a member who is conducting a hearing in respect of a matter becomes incapacitated or dies during the hearing or after the conclusion of the hearing but before rendering a decision and quorum is lost as a result, the Chairperson may, with the consent of all the parties to the hearing,
(a) if the incapacity or death occurs during the hearing, authorize another member to continue the hearing and render a decision, or
(b) if the incapacity or death occurs after the conclusion of the hearing, authorize another member to examine the evidence presented at the hearing and render a decision,
and in either case, the quorum in respect of the matter is deemed never to have been lost.
Marginal note:Quorum not lost because of incapacity of member
(3) Where a member who is conducting a hearing in respect of a matter becomes incapacitated or dies during the hearing and quorum is not lost as a result, another member may be assigned by the Chairperson to participate in the hearing and in the rendering of a decision.
17 The Agency may make rules respecting
(a) the sittings of the Agency and the carrying on of its work;
(b) the manner of and procedures for dealing with matters and business before the Agency, including the circumstances in which hearings may be held in private; and
(c) the number of members that are required to hear any matter or perform any of the functions of the Agency under this Act or any other Act of Parliament.
Marginal note:Head office
Marginal note:Residence of members
(2) The members appointed under subsection 7(2) shall reside in the National Capital Region described in the schedule to the National Capital Act or within any distance of it that the Governor in Council determines.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 18
- 2007, c. 19, s. 5
- 2008, c. 21, s. 61
Marginal note:Secretary, officers and employees
19 The Secretary of the Agency and the other officers and employees that are necessary for the proper conduct of the business of the Agency shall be appointed in accordance with the Public Service Employment Act.
Marginal note:Technical experts
20 The Agency may appoint and, subject to any applicable Treasury Board directive, fix the remuneration of experts or persons who have technical or special knowledge to assist the Agency in an advisory capacity in respect of any matter before the Agency.
Marginal note:Duties of Secretary
(a) maintain a record in which shall be entered a true copy of every rule, order, decision and regulation of the Agency and any other documents that the Agency requires to be entered in it; and
(b) keep at the Agency’s office a copy of all rules, orders, decisions and regulations of the Agency and the records of proceedings of the Agency.
Marginal note:Entries in record
(2) The entry of a document in the record referred to in paragraph (1)(a) shall constitute the original record of the document.
Marginal note:Copies of documents obtainable
22 On the application of any person, and on payment of a fee fixed by the Agency, the Secretary of the Agency or, in the absence of the Secretary, the person assigned by the Chairperson to act in the absence shall issue under the seal of the Agency to the applicant a certified copy of any rule, order, regulation or any other document that has been issued by the Agency.
Marginal note:Judicial notice of documents
Marginal note:Evidence of deposited documents
(2) A document purporting to be certified by the Secretary of the Agency as being a true copy of a document deposited or filed with or approved by the Agency, or any portion of such a document, is evidence that the document is so deposited, filed or approved and, if stated in the certificate, of the time when the document was deposited, filed or approved.
Powers of Agency
Marginal note:Policy governs Agency
24 The powers, duties and functions of the Agency respecting any matter that comes within its jurisdiction under an Act of Parliament shall be exercised and performed in conformity with any policy direction issued to the Agency under section 43.
Marginal note:Agency powers in general
25 The Agency has, with respect to all matters necessary or proper for the exercise of its jurisdiction, the attendance and examination of witnesses, the production and inspection of documents, the enforcement of its orders or regulations and the entry on and inspection of property, all the powers, rights and privileges that are vested in a superior court.
Marginal note:Power to award costs
Marginal note:Costs may be fixed or taxed
(2) Costs may be fixed in any case at a sum certain or may be taxed.
(3) The Agency may direct by whom and to whom costs are to be paid and by whom they are to be taxed and allowed.
(4) The Agency may make rules specifying a scale under which costs are to be taxed.
Marginal note:Compelling observance of obligations
26 The Agency may require a person to do or refrain from doing any thing that the person is or may be required to do or is prohibited from doing under any Act of Parliament that is administered in whole or in part by the Agency.
- Date modified: