PART IAdministration (continued)
Canadian Transportation Agency (continued)
Powers of Agency (continued)
(2) and (3) [Repealed, 2008, c. 5, s. 1]
(4) The Agency may, on terms or otherwise, make or allow any amendments in any proceedings before it.
(5) [Repealed, 2008, c. 5, s. 1]
- 1996, c. 10, s. 27
- 2008, c. 5, s. 1
- 2018, c. 10, s. 4(E)
(a) at a future time,
(b) on the happening of any contingency, event or condition specified in the order, or
(c) on the performance, to the satisfaction of the Agency or a person named by it, of any terms that the Agency may impose on an interested party,
and the Agency may direct that the whole or any portion of the order shall have force for a limited time or until the happening of a specified event.
Marginal note:Interim orders
(2) The Agency may, instead of making an order final in the first instance, make an interim order and reserve further directions either for an adjourned hearing of the matter or for further application.
Marginal note:Time for making decisions
29 (1) The Agency shall make its decision in any proceedings before it as expeditiously as possible, but no later than one hundred and twenty days after the originating documents are received, unless the parties agree to an extension or this Act or a regulation made under subsection (2) provides otherwise.
Marginal note:Period for specified classes
(2) The Governor in Council may, by regulation, prescribe periods of less than one hundred and twenty days within which the Agency shall make its decision in respect of such classes of proceedings as are specified in the regulation.
Marginal note:Pending proceedings
30 The fact that a suit, prosecution or proceeding involving a question of fact is pending in any court does not deprive the Agency of jurisdiction to hear and determine the same question of fact.
Marginal note:Fact finding is conclusive
31 The finding or determination of the Agency on a question of fact within its jurisdiction is binding and conclusive.
Marginal note:Review of decisions and orders
32 The Agency may review, rescind or vary any decision or order made by it or may re-hear any application before deciding it if, in the opinion of the Agency, since the decision or order or the hearing of the application, there has been a change in the facts or circumstances pertaining to the decision, order or hearing.
Marginal note:Enforcement of decision or order
(2) To make a decision or order an order of a court, either the usual practice and procedure of the court in such matters may be followed or the Secretary of the Agency may file with the registrar of the court a certified copy of the decision or order, signed by the Chairperson and sealed with the Agency’s seal, at which time the decision or order becomes an order of the court.
Marginal note:Effect of variation or rescission
(3) Where a decision or order that has been made an order of a court is rescinded or varied by a subsequent decision or order of the Agency, the order of the court is deemed to have been cancelled and the subsequent decision or order may be made an order of the court.
Marginal note:Option to enforce
(4) The Agency may, before or after one of its decisions or orders is made an order of a court, enforce the decision or order by its own action.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 33
- 2002, c. 8, s. 122
- 2006, c. 11, s. 17
- 2007, c. 19, s. 6
34 (1) The Agency may, by rule, fix the fees that are to be paid to the Agency in respect of applications made to it, including applications for licences or permits and applications for amendments to or for the renewal of licences or permits, and any other matters brought before or dealt with by the Agency.
Marginal note:Advance notice to Minister
(2) The Agency shall give the Minister notice of every rule proposed to be made under subsection (1).
Marginal note:Fees for witnesses
35 Every person summoned to attend before the Agency under this Part or before a person making an inquiry under this Part shall receive the fees and allowances for so doing that the Agency may, by regulation, prescribe.
Marginal note:Approval of regulations required
Marginal note:Advance notice of regulations
(2) The Agency shall give the Minister notice of every regulation proposed to be made by the Agency under this Act.
Marginal note:Request by parties
36.1 (1) If there is a dispute concerning a matter within the Agency’s jurisdiction, all the parties to the dispute may, by agreement, make a request to the Agency for mediation. On receipt of the request, the Agency shall refer the dispute for mediation.
Marginal note:Appointment of mediator
(2) When a dispute is referred for mediation, the Chairperson shall appoint one or two persons to mediate the dispute.
Marginal note:Mediator not to act in other proceedings
(3) A person who is appointed to mediate a dispute may not act in any other proceedings before the Agency in relation to that matter.
Marginal note:Confidentiality of mediation
(4) All matters relating to the mediation of a dispute shall be kept confidential, unless the parties to the dispute otherwise agree, and information provided by a party for the purposes of mediation shall not be used for any other purpose without the consent of that party.
Marginal note:Time limit for completion of mediation
(5) Unless the parties to a dispute otherwise agree, the mediation of the dispute shall be completed within 30 days after the dispute is referred for mediation.
Marginal note:Effect of mediation on proceedings
(6) The mediation has the effect of
(a) staying for the period of the mediation any proceedings before the Agency in so far as they relate to a matter that is the subject of the mediation; and
(b) extending the time within which the Agency may make a decision or determination under this Act with regard to those proceedings by the period of the mediation.
Marginal note:Filing of mediation agreement
(7) An agreement that is reached as a result of mediation may be filed with the Agency and, after filing, is enforceable as if it were an order of the Agency.
- 2007, c. 19, s. 7
Information and Informal Dispute Resolution Services
Marginal note:Information and guidance
Marginal note:Informal resolution
(2) A member of the Agency or its staff may attempt to resolve in an informal manner with a railway company any issue raised by an interested person to whom it has provided information and guidance. In doing so, the member or staff shall not reveal the identity of the interested person without their consent.
Marginal note:Person not to act in proceedings
(3) A person who exercises the powers or performs the duties or functions under paragraph (1)(b) or subsection (2) shall not act in any proceedings before the Agency that are related to an issue in respect of which the person provided information, guidance or informal dispute resolution services.
- 2018, c. 10, s. 5
- Date modified: