Corrections and Conditional Release Act (S.C. 1992, c. 20)
- HTMLFull Document: Corrections and Conditional Release Act (Accessibility Buttons available) |
- XMLFull Document: Corrections and Conditional Release Act [707 KB] |
- PDFFull Document: Corrections and Conditional Release Act [1274 KB]
Act current to 2023-05-17 and last amended on 2022-06-23. Previous Versions
Marginal note:Conditions for long-term supervision
134.1 (1) Subject to subsection (4), every offender who is required to be supervised by a long-term supervision order is subject to the conditions prescribed by subsection 161(1) of the Corrections and Conditional Release Regulations, with such modifications as the circumstances require.
Marginal note:Conditions set by Board
(2) The Board may establish conditions for the long-term supervision of the offender that it considers reasonable and necessary in order to protect society and to facilitate the successful reintegration into society of the offender.
Marginal note:Conditions to protect victim
(2.1) If a victim, or a person referred to in subsection 142(3), has provided the Board with a statement describing the harm, property damage or loss suffered by them, as the result of the commission of an offence and its continuing impact on them — including any safety concerns — the Board shall impose any conditions on the long-term supervision of the offender that it considers reasonable and necessary to protect the victim or the person, including a condition that the offender abstain from having any contact, including communication by any means, with the victim or the person or from going to any specified place.
Marginal note:Written reasons
(2.2) If a statement referred to in subsection (2.1) has been provided to the Board and it decides not to impose any conditions under that subsection, it shall provide written reasons for its decision.
Marginal note:For greater certainty
(2.3) For greater certainty, if no statement has been provided to the Board, nothing in subsection (2.1) precludes the Board from imposing any condition under subsection (2).
Marginal note:Duration of conditions
(3) A condition imposed under subsection (2) or (2.1) is valid for the period that the Board specifies.
Marginal note:Relief from conditions
(4) The Board may, in accordance with the regulations, at any time during the long-term supervision of an offender,
(a) in respect of conditions referred to in subsection (1), relieve the offender from compliance with any such condition or vary the application to the offender of any such condition; or
(b) in respect of conditions imposed under subsection (2) or (2.1), remove or vary any such condition.
Marginal note:Obligation — removal or variance of condition
(5) Before removing or varying any condition imposed under subsection (2.1) on an offender, the Board shall take reasonable steps to inform every victim or person who provided it with a statement referred to in that subsection in relation to that offender of its intention to remove or vary the condition and it shall consider their concerns, if any.
- 1997, c. 17, s. 30
- 2015, c. 13, s. 48
- Date modified: