PART 6Corporate Governance (continued)
Marginal note:Notice not required
53 A notice of a meeting of a cooperative need not be sent to a shareholder who was not registered on the records of the cooperative or its transfer agent on the record date fixed or determined under section 51.
Marginal note:Failure to receive notice
54 Failure to receive notice of a meeting does not deprive a person of a right to vote at the meeting to which the person is otherwise entitled.
Marginal note:Notice when adjournment
55 (1) If a meeting of a cooperative is adjourned for less than thirty days, it is not necessary, unless the by-laws provide otherwise, to give notice of the adjourned meeting, other than by announcement at the earliest meeting that is adjourned.
Marginal note:Notice of adjournment — meetings of members
(2) If a meeting of members is adjourned by one or more adjournments for a total of thirty days or more, notice of the adjourned meeting must be given as for the original meeting.
Marginal note:Notice of adjournment — meetings of shareholders
(3) If a meeting of shareholders is adjourned by one or more adjournments for a total of thirty days or more, notice of the adjourned meeting must be given as for the original meeting but, unless the meeting is adjourned by one or more adjournments for a total of more than ninety days, subsection 165(1) does not apply.
Marginal note:Special business
56 (1) All matters dealt with at a special meeting of a cooperative and all matters dealt with at an annual meeting, except consideration of the financial statements, the auditor’s report, the business of the cooperative, the election of directors, the remuneration of directors and the re-appointment of the incumbent auditor, are special business.
Marginal note:Notice if special business is to be transacted
(2) Notice of a meeting of a cooperative at which special business is to be transacted must
Marginal note:Waiver of notice
Marginal note:Attendance is waiver
(2) Attendance at a meeting of a cooperative is a waiver of notice of the meeting, except when a person attends the meeting for the express purpose of objecting to the transaction of any business on the ground that the meeting is not lawfully called.
Marginal note:Proposals by members or directors to amend articles
(2) Any member or director may, in accordance with section 290, make a proposal to amend the articles.
Marginal note:Proposals by other persons to amend articles
(2.1) Any other person may, in accordance with section 290, make a proposal to amend the articles if the person
(a) has been, for at least the prescribed period, the registered holder or the beneficial owner of at least the prescribed number of outstanding investment shares of the cooperative; or
(b) has the support of persons who, in the aggregate, and including or not including the person that submits the proposal, have been, for at least the prescribed period, the registered holders, or the beneficial owners of, at least the prescribed number of outstanding investment shares of the cooperative.
Marginal note:Information to be provided
(2.2) A proposal submitted by a person described in paragraph (2.1)(a) must be accompanied by the following information:
Marginal note:Information not part of proposal
(2.3) The information provided under subsection (2.2) does not form part of the proposal or of the supporting statement referred to in subsection (3) and is not included for the purposes of the prescribed maximum word limit set out in subsection (3).
Marginal note:Proof may be required
(2.4) If requested by the cooperative within the prescribed period, a person who submits a proposal must provide proof, within the prescribed period, that the person meets the requirements of subsection (2.1).
Marginal note:Proposal and statement to accompany notice of meeting
(3) A proposal submitted for consideration at a meeting must be attached to the notice of the meeting, together with, if requested by the person making the proposal, a statement in support of the proposal and the name and address of person making the proposal. The statement and the proposal must together not exceed the prescribed maximum number of words.
(4) A cooperative need not comply with subsection (3) if
(a) the proposal is not submitted to the cooperative at least the prescribed number of days before the anniversary date of the notice of meeting that was sent to members and shareholders in connection with the previous annual meeting;
(b) it clearly appears that the primary purpose of the proposal is to enforce a personal claim or redress a personal grievance against the cooperative or its directors, officers, members or security holders;
(c) not more than the prescribed period before the receipt of a proposal, a person failed to present, at a meeting, a proposal that, at the person’s request, had been attached by the cooperative to the notice of the meeting;
(d) substantially the same proposal was attached to a notice of meeting relating to a meeting of the cooperative held not more than the prescribed period before the receipt of the proposal and the proposal did not receive the prescribed minimum amount of support at the meeting; or
(e) the rights conferred by subsections (1) and (2) are being abused to secure publicity.
Marginal note:Cooperative may refuse to include proposal
(a) a person described in subsection (2.1) makes a proposal and fails to continue to hold or own the number of investment shares referred to in that subsection up to and including the day of the meeting, or
(b) a member makes a proposal and, prior to the meeting, withdraws from membership in accordance with section 39,
the cooperative is not required to include in the notice of a meeting, or attach to it, any proposal submitted by that person for any meeting held within the prescribed period following the date of the meeting.
- 1998, c. 1, s. 58
- 2001, c. 14, s. 153
Marginal note:Liability for circulation
59 No cooperative or person acting on behalf of a cooperative incurs any liability by reason only of circulating a proposal or statement in accordance with section 58.
Marginal note:Refusal to include proposal
60 (1) If a cooperative refuses to include a proposal in a notice of a meeting referred to in section 52, the cooperative must, within the prescribed period after the day on which it receives the proposal or the day on which it receives the proof of ownership under subsection 58(2.4), as the case may be, notify in writing the person submitting the proposal of its intention to omit the proposal from the notice and of the reasons for the refusal.
Marginal note:Restraining order by court
(2) On the application of a person submitting a proposal who claims to be aggrieved by a cooperative’s refusal under subsection (1), a court may restrain the holding of the meeting at which the proposal is sought to be presented and make any further order it thinks fit.
Marginal note:Order to omit proposal from notice
(3) A cooperative or any person claiming to be aggrieved by a proposal may apply to a court for an order permitting the cooperative to omit the proposal from a notice of meeting, and the court, if it is satisfied that subsection 58(4) applies, may make any order that it thinks fit.
- 1998, c. 1, s. 60
- 2001, c. 14, s. 154
Marginal note:List of persons entitled to receive notice
61 (1) A cooperative must prepare an alphabetical list of its members as of the record date established under subsection 51(2) or, if the by-laws provide for delegates, of the delegates, who are entitled to receive notice of and vote at a meeting of members.
Marginal note:Entitlement to vote — members’ meetings
(2) Subject to subsection 7(3), a member or delegate whose name appears on the list referred to in subsection (1) is entitled to one vote at a meeting of members.
Marginal note:List of shareholders entitled to vote
(3) If a record date for voting is fixed under subsection 51(4), a cooperative must prepare, no later than ten days after the record date, an alphabetical list of shareholders who are entitled to vote as of the record date at a meeting of shareholders that shows the number of investment shares held by each shareholder.
Marginal note:Entitlement to vote
(4) A shareholder named in the list referred to in subsection (3) is entitled to vote the investment shares opposite their name at the meeting to which the list relates.
Marginal note:List of shareholders entitled to receive notice
(5) If a record date for voting is not fixed under subsection 51(4), a cooperative must prepare, not later than 10 days after the record date for notice of a meeting that is fixed under subsection 51(3) or not later than the record date that is referred to in subsection 51(5), as the case may be, an alphabetical list of shareholders who are entitled to receive notice of a meeting of shareholders as of the record date that shows the number of shares held by each shareholder.
Marginal note:Entitlement to vote
(6) A shareholder whose name appears on the list referred to in subsection (5) is entitled to vote the investment shares shown opposite their name at the meeting to which the list relates, except to the extent that
(a) the shareholder has transferred the ownership of any of those investment shares after the record date, and
(b) the transferee of those investment shares demands, not later than ten days before the meeting, or any shorter period that the by-laws of the cooperative provide, that the transferee’s name be included in the list before the meeting and produces properly endorsed investment share certificates or otherwise establishes that the transferee owns the investment shares,
in which case the transferee may vote the shares at the meeting.
Marginal note:Examination of list
(7) A person who is entitled to vote at a meeting of a cooperative may examine a list that relates to the meeting
- 1998, c. 1, s. 61
- 2018, c. 8, s. 57(E)
- Date modified: