PART IFoods, Drugs, Cosmetics and Devices (continued)
Marginal note:Prohibited sales of cosmetics
16 No person shall sell any cosmetic that
(a) has in or on it any substance that may cause injury to the health of the user when the cosmetic is used,
(b) consists in whole or in part of any filthy or decomposed substance or of any foreign matter; or
(c) was manufactured, prepared, preserved, packaged or stored under unsanitary conditions.
- R.S., 1985, c. F-27, s. 16;
- 2016, c. 9, s. 2(F).
Marginal note:Where standard prescribed for cosmetic
17 Where a standard has been prescribed for a cosmetic, no person shall label, package, sell or advertise any article in such a manner that it is likely to be mistaken for that cosmetic, unless the article complies with the prescribed standard.
- R.S., c. F-27, s. 17.
Marginal note:Unsanitary conditions
18 No person shall manufacture, prepare, preserve, package or store for sale any cosmetic under unsanitary conditions.
- R.S., c. F-27, s. 18.
Marginal note:Prohibited sales of devices
19 No person shall sell any device that, when used according to directions or under such conditions as are customary or usual, may cause injury to the health of the purchaser or user thereof.
- R.S., c. F-27, s. 19.
Marginal note:Deception, etc., regarding devices
20 (1) No person shall label, package, treat, process, sell or advertise any device in a manner that is false, misleading or deceptive or is likely to create an erroneous impression regarding its design, construction, performance, intended use, quantity, character, value, composition, merit or safety.
Marginal note:Devices labelled or packaged in contravention of regulations
(2) A device that is not labelled or packaged as required by, or is labelled or packaged contrary to, the regulations shall be deemed to be labelled or packaged contrary to subsection (1).
- R.S., c. F-27, s. 20;
- 1976-77, c. 28, s. 16.
Marginal note:Where standard prescribed for device
21 Where a standard has been prescribed for a device, no person shall label, package, sell or advertise any article in such a manner that it is likely to be mistaken for that device, unless the article complies with the prescribed standard.
- R.S., c. F-27, s. 21.
Marginal note:Power to require information — serious risk
21.1 (1) If the Minister believes that a therapeutic product may present a serious risk of injury to human health, the Minister may order a person to provide the Minister with information that is in the person’s control and that the Minister believes is necessary to determine whether the product presents such a risk.
Marginal note:Disclosure — serious risk
(2) The Minister may disclose confidential business information about a therapeutic product without notifying the person to whose business or affairs the information relates or obtaining their consent, if the Minister believes that the product may present a serious risk of injury to human health.
Marginal note:Disclosure — health or safety
(3) The Minister may disclose confidential business information about a therapeutic product without notifying the person to whose business or affairs the information relates or obtaining their consent, if the purpose of the disclosure is related to the protection or promotion of human health or the safety of the public and the disclosure is to
Definition of government
(4) In this section, government means any of the following or their institutions:
(a) the federal government;
(c) a provincial government or a public body established under an Act of the legislature of a province;
(e) a government of a foreign state or of a subdivision of a foreign state; or
(f) an international organization of states.
- 2014, c. 24, s. 3.
Marginal note:Modification or replacement — labelling or packaging
21.2 The Minister may, if he or she believes that doing so is necessary to prevent injury to health, order the holder of a therapeutic product authorization that authorizes the import or sale of a therapeutic product to modify the product’s label or to modify or replace its package.
- 2014, c. 24, s. 3.
Marginal note:Minister’s powers — risk of injury to health
Marginal note:Recall order — corrective action
(2) For greater certainty, if the Minister makes an order under paragraph (1)(a) and believes that corrective action is an effective means of dealing with the risk, the order may require the person who sells the product to, instead of requesting the product’s return, request the product’s owner or user to allow corrective action to be taken in respect of the product and then take that corrective action, or cause it to be taken, if the request is accepted.
Marginal note:Prohibition — selling
(3) Subject to subsection (5), no person shall sell a therapeutic product that the Minister orders them, or another person, to recall.
Marginal note:Power to authorize sale
(4) The Minister may authorize a person to sell a therapeutic product, with or without conditions, even if the Minister has ordered them, or another person, to recall it.
(5) A person does not contravene subsection (3) if they sell a therapeutic product that they have been authorized under subsection (4) to sell, provided that they sell it in accordance with any conditions that the Minister establishes.
Marginal note:Contravention of unpublished order
(6) No person shall be convicted of an offence for the contravention of subsection (3) unless it is proved that, at the time of the alleged contravention, the person had been notified of the recall order or reasonable steps had been taken to bring the purport of the recall order to the notice of those persons likely to be affected by it.
- 2014, c. 24, s. 3.
Marginal note:Power to require assessment
21.31 Subject to the regulations, the Minister may order the holder of a therapeutic product authorization to conduct an assessment of the therapeutic product to which the authorization relates and provide the Minister with the results of the assessment.
- 2014, c. 24, s. 4.
Marginal note:Power to require tests, studies, etc.
21.32 Subject to the regulations, the Minister may, for the purpose of obtaining additional information about a therapeutic product’s effects on health or safety, order the holder of a therapeutic product authorization to
(a) compile information, conduct tests or studies or monitor experience in respect of the therapeutic product; and
(b) provide the Minister with the information or the results of the tests, studies or monitoring.
- 2014, c. 24, s. 4.
Marginal note:Statutory Instruments Act
Marginal note:Availability of orders
(2) The Minister shall ensure that any order made under any of sections 21.1 to 21.32 is publicly available.
- 2014, c. 24, ss. 3, 4.
- Date modified: