Policy Committees, Work Place Committees and Health and Safety Representatives Regulations
P.C. 2015-848 2015-06-18
His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Labour, the Minister of Transport, the Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development, and the Minister of Natural Resources, pursuant to subsections 135.2(1) and 136(11)Footnote a and section 157Footnote b of the Canada Labour CodeFootnote c, makes the annexed Policy Committees, Work Place Committees and Health and Safety Representatives Regulations.
1.2 These Regulations apply to any person who is not an employee but who performs for an employer to which these Regulations apply activities whose primary purpose is to enable the person to acquire knowledge or experience, and to the employer, as if that person were an employee of the employer, and every provision of these Regulations must be read accordingly.
- SOR/2015-211, s. 6
PART 1Policy Committees and Work Place Committees
2 This Part applies in respect of policy committees and work place committees.
Selection of Members
3 Employees who are not represented by a trade union must select members of a committee by a majority of votes.
Qualifications of Members Selected by the Employer
4 The members of a committee selected by the employer must be employees who exercise managerial functions.
- SOR/2019-246, s. 417
(2) The Chairpersons have the following responsibilities:
- SOR/2019-246, s. 418
6 If a committee member ceases to be a member and by reason of the vacancy the composition of the committee fails to meet the requirements of section 135.1 of the Act, a new member must be selected and appointed
(a) in the case of a policy committee, within 60 days after the day on which the vacancy occurs; and
(b) in the case of a work place committee, within 30 days after the day on which the vacancy occurs.
7 A quorum of a committee consists of the majority of members, at least half of which are employee members and at least one of which is an employer member.
- SOR/2019-246, s. 419
(2) As soon as feasible after receiving the minutes and the approval document, the chairperson selected by the employer members of the committee must provide a copy of those documents to the employer and each member of the committee.
(3) As soon as feasible after receiving a copy of the minutes and the approval document, the employer must provide a copy of them
(4) As soon as feasible after receiving a copy of the minutes and the approval document, the employer must make a copy of the minutes readily available to the employees for a period of one month.
(5) The employer must keep a copy of the minutes and the approval document at the following locations for a period of two years after the day on which the meeting was held:
- SOR/2019-246, s. 420
Annual Report on Work Place Committee Activities
9 (1) On or before March 1 each year, the chairperson selected by the employer members of the work place committee must submit to the Minister an annual report of the committee’s activities during the 12-month period ending on December 31 of the preceding year.
(2) The report must be in the form set out in the schedule, contain the information set out in the form, and be signed by both chairpersons.
(3) As soon as feasible after the report has been submitted, the employer must post a copy of it in the conspicuous place or places in which the employer posts the information referred to in paragraph 125(1)(z.17) or subsection 135(5) of the Act and keep the copy posted for a period of two months.
- SOR/2019-246, s. 421
PART 2Health and Safety Representatives
10 This Part applies in respect of health and safety representatives.
Selection of Representatives
11 Employees who are not represented by a trade union must select their health and safety representatives by a majority of votes.
Term of Office
12 The term of office of a health and safety representative is two years.
13 If a health and safety representative ceases to be a representative, the vacancy must be filled within 30 days after the day on which the vacancy occurred.
PART 3Health and Safety Training Program
14 (1) For the purposes of paragraph 125(1)(z.01) of the Act, training for members of policy and work place committees and health and safety representatives must be developed by the employer after consultation with the committees or representatives concerned and must include the following aspects:
(a) the Act and any regulations made under it;
(b) the means that allow the committee members and the health and safety representatives to fulfill their responsibilities under the Act;
(c) the rules of each of the committees; and
(d) the principles of consensus building regarding health and safety issues.
(2) The health and safety training program must be reviewed and updated at least once every three years, and whenever there is a change of circumstances that may affect the content of the training.
- SOR/2019-246, s. 422
Coming into Force
16 These Regulations come into force on the day on which they are registered.
[Graphic is not displayed, see SOR/2015-164, Schedule; SOR/2019-246, ss. 423 to 425. / Ce graphique n’est pas exposé, voir DORS/2015-164, Annexe; DORS/2019-246, art. 423 à 425.]
- SOR/2019-246, s. 423(F)
- SOR/2019-246, s. 424
- SOR/2019-246, s. 425
- Date modified: