PART VICanada Student Grants (continued)
Grant for Full-time Students (continued)
40.021 (1) Beginning in 2018, the annual income thresholds set out in column 2 of Tables 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 of Schedule 4 are adjusted on August 1st of each year by the annual percentage increase to the Consumer Price Index for the previous calendar year, rounded to the nearest dollar. The adjustment applies for that loan year.
(2) If the thresholds determined in accordance with subsection (1) are less than those applicable for the previous loan year, no adjustment is to be made and the thresholds applicable for the previous loan year continue to apply for that loan year.
(3) For the purpose of subsection (1), the Consumer Price Index is the annual all-items Consumer Price Index for Canada published by Statistics Canada.
- SOR/2018-31, s. 10
Transition Grant — Canada Millennium Scholarship
(a) meets the criteria set out in paragraphs 12(1)(a) and (b) of the Act;
(b) is not denied further loans under section 15;
(c) received a Millennium Bursary for the 2008–2009 school year and has not ceased since that year to be a full-time student under section 8;
(d) has received no more than $25,000, in the aggregate, of grants under this section, sections 40.02 and 40.021, and Canada Millennium Scholarships other than awards under the Millennium Excellence Awards Program;
(e) has received the grants under this section, the grants referred to in sections 40.02 and 40.021 and Canada Millennium Scholarships other than awards under the Millennium Excellence Awards Program, in respect of no more than 32 months of study; and
(f) has received the grant for no more than three consecutive loan years.
(2) The amount of the grant for a loan year shall be the amount that the student received as a Millennium Bursary in the 2008–2009 school year minus any amount that the student is entitled to receive under section 40.02 or 40.021 for that loan year.
(3) In this section, Millennium Bursary means a bursary awarded under the Millennium Bursary Program other than a Millennium Access Bursary, awards under the Millennium Excellence Awards Program and scholarships awarded under the World Petroleum Council Millennium Scholarship Program.
- SOR/2009-143, s. 14
Administration of Canada Student Grants
40.03 (1) The Minister shall pay to the appropriate authority or other body authorized by the Minister for a province the amount that the authority or other body requires to make Canada student grants to qualifying students for a loan year under this Part.
(2) Each appropriate authority or other body shall provide to the Minister at the end of each loan year, or on request of the Minister during a loan year, an accounting of all grants made to qualifying students by that appropriate authority or other body during that loan year or other period identified by the Minister.
(3) An appropriate authority or other body shall repay to the Minister any money provided for a loan year that is not given as grants in accordance with this Part. The overpayment becomes a debt due to Her Majesty in right of Canada on the day after the last day of that loan year.
- SOR/2005-152, s. 9
- SOR/2009-143, s. 16
Conversion of Grant into Loan
(a) if the person is no longer qualified for enrolment or is no longer enrolled as a full-time student or a part-time student, as the case may be, within 30 days after the first day of class unless unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances beyond the control of the person caused that change in status;
(b) if the person received the grant on the basis of providing inaccurate information or of failing to provide relevant information to the Minister, the appropriate authority or the body authorized by the Minister for a province; or
(c) if the appropriate authority determines that the person was not entitled to the grant as the result of a reassessment of the person’s need as determined under subsection 12(2) of the Act.
(2) The amount of the grant that is required to be repaid shall be converted into a direct loan.
(3) The Minister may, based on documentary evidence provided within six months after the date of notice of the requirement, cancel or amend a requirement for repayment made under paragraph (1)(a) if the requirement is not justified under that paragraph.
- SOR/2009-143, s. 17
- SOR/2010-144, s. 1(F)
Administrative Measures — Prescribed Period
(a) if the amount of assistance awarded in excess of the amount to which the person would have otherwise been entitled is
(b) if the person is not a qualifying student, five years; and
(2) If more than one period applies to the person under subsection (1), the prescribed period is the longest applicable period.
- SOR/2010-144, s. 2
40.1 (1) Where the Minister makes a payment to a lender pursuant to subparagraph 5(a)(viii) or (ix) of the Act in respect of a risk-shared loan, Her Majesty in right of Canada is subrogated in and to all the rights of the lender in respect of the risk-shared loan and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, all rights and powers of the lender in respect of
(2) Her Majesty in right of Canada is entitled to exercise all the rights, powers and privileges that the lender had or may exercise in respect of the loan, judgment or security, including the right to commence or continue any action or proceeding, to execute any release, transfer, sale or assignment, or in any way collect, realize or enforce the loan, judgment or security.
- SOR/96-368, s. 29
- SOR/2000-290, s. 22
41 [Repealed, 2005, c. 34, s. 78]
42 [Repealed, SOR/2009-212, s. 6]
42.1 [Repealed, SOR/2009-212, s. 6]
42.2 [Repealed, SOR/2009-212, s. 6]
43 [Repealed, SOR/2009-212, s. 6]
43.1 [Repealed, SOR/2009-143, s. 18]
- Date modified: