Marginal note:Financial responsibility
168. (1) An applicant for an authorization under paragraph 142(1)(b) in respect of any work or activity in any portion of the offshore area shall provide proof of financial responsibility in the form of a letter of credit, a guarantee or indemnity bond or in any other form satisfactory to the Board, in an amount satisfactory to the Board.
Marginal note:Continuing obligation
(1.1) The holder of an authorization issued under paragraph 142(1)(b) shall ensure that the proof of financial responsibility remains in force for the duration of the work or activity in respect of which the authorization is issued.
Marginal note:Payment of claims
(2) The Board may require that moneys in an amount not exceeding the amount prescribed for any case or class of cases, or determined by the Board in the absence of regulations, be paid out of the funds available under the letter of credit, guarantee or indemnity bond or other form of financial responsibility provided pursuant to subsection (1), in respect of any claim for which proceedings may be instituted under section 167, whether or not such proceedings have been instituted.
Marginal note:Manner of payment
(3) Where payment is required under subsection (2), it shall be made in such manner, subject to such conditions and procedures and to or for the benefit of such persons or classes of persons as may be prescribed by the regulations for any case or class of cases, or as may be required by the Board in the absence of regulations.
(4) Where a claim is sued for under section 167, there shall be deducted from any award made pursuant to the action on that claim any amount received by the claimant under this section in respect of the loss, damage, costs or expenses claimed.
- 1988, c. 28, s. 168;
- 1992, c. 35, s. 113.
Marginal note:Review committee
169. (1) A committee, consisting of members appointed by each government and by representatives of the petroleum industry and of the fisheries industry, is established by the joint operation of this Act and the Provincial Act to review and monitor the application of sections 167 and 168 and any claims and the payment thereof made under those sections.
Marginal note:Dissolution of committee
(2) The committee referred to in subsection (1) may be dissolved only by the joint operation of an Act of Parliament and an Act of the Legislature of the Province.
Marginal note:Promotion of compensation policies
(3) The Board shall promote and monitor compensation policies for fishermen sponsored by the fishing industry respecting damages of a non-attributable nature.
170. (1) Where a spill or debris or an accident or incident related to any activity to which this Part applies occurs or is found in any portion of the offshore area and results in death or injury or danger to public safety or the environment, the Board may direct an inquiry to be made and may authorize any person it deems qualified to conduct the inquiry.
Marginal note:Mandatory inquiry
(1.1) Where a spill or debris or an accident or incident related to any activity to which this Part applies occurs or is found in any portion of the offshore area and is serious, as defined by regulation, the Board shall direct that an inquiry referred to in subsection (1) be made and shall ensure that the person who conducts the inquiry is not employed by the Board.
Marginal note:Power of person conducting inquiry
(2) For the purposes of an inquiry under subsection (1), a person authorized by the Board under that subsection has and may exercise all the powers of a person appointed as a commissioner under Part I of the Inquiries Act.
(3) As soon as possible after the conclusion of an inquiry under subsection (1), the person or persons authorized to conduct the inquiry shall submit a report to the Board, together with the evidence and other material that was before the inquiry.
(4) A report made pursuant to subsection (3) shall be published by the Board within thirty days after the Board has received it.
Marginal note:Copies of report
(5) The Board may supply copies of a report published pursuant to subsection (4) in such manner and on such terms as the Board considers proper.
- 1988, c. 28, s. 170;
- 1992, c. 35, s. 114.
- Date modified: