APPROVAL OF DEVICES BY THE MINISTER
Marginal note:Approval of devices
3. (1) The Minister shall, in accordance with the regulations, approve devices or classes, types or designs of devices for use in trade.
Marginal note:Temporary approval
(2) The Minister may, in any period during which a device or class, type or design of device is being evaluated for approval for use in trade under subsection (1), approve that device or class, type or design of device for use in trade on a temporary basis for such period and under such terms and conditions as the Minister may specify.
- 1970-71-72, c. 36, s. 3;
- 1976-77, c. 28, s. 46.
UNITS OF MEASUREMENT
Marginal note:Basis for units of measurement
4. (1) All units of measurement used in Canada shall be determined on the basis of the International System of Units established by the General Conference of Weights and Measures.
Marginal note:Basic, supplementary and derived units
(2) The basic, supplementary and derived units of measurement for use in Canada and the symbols therefor are as set out and defined in Parts I, II and III of Schedule I, respectively.
Marginal note:Customary units
(3) In addition to the units of measurement otherwise referred to in this section, the customary units of measurement and the symbols therefor as set out and defined in Part IV of Schedule I may be used in Canada, which units of measurement are commonly used with the International System of Units.
Marginal note:Multiples and submultiples of units
(4) The prefixes for multiples and submultiples of the units of measurement referred to in subsection (2) and the symbols therefor are as set out and defined in Part V of Schedule I.
Marginal note:Canadian units
(5) The Canadian units of measurement are as set out and defined in Schedule II, and the symbols and abbreviations therefor are as added pursuant to subparagraph 6(1)(b)(ii).
- 1970-71-72, c. 36, s. 4.
Marginal note:Seigneurial tenure
5. Notwithstanding section 7, the units of measurement set out and defined in Schedule III may be used to describe land in the Province of Quebec that was originally granted under seigneurial tenure.
- 1970-71-72, c. 36, s. 5.
Marginal note:Amendments to Schedules I and II
6. (1) The Governor in Council may by order
(a) amend Schedule I by adding to or deleting from Part I, II, III, IV or V thereof any basic, supplementary, derived or customary unit of measurement or any prefix therefor, together with its symbol and definition; or
(b) amend Schedule II
(i) by adding thereto or deleting therefrom any Canadian unit of measurement, together with its definition,
(ii) by adding thereto a symbol or an abbreviation for any Canadian unit of measurement, or
(iii) by deleting therefrom any symbol or abbreviation referred to in subparagraph (ii).
Marginal note:Limitation of power to amend Schedule II
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), the Governor in Council may not amend Schedule II in such a manner that the ratio of any one unit of measurement to any other unit of measurement is altered.
- 1970-71-72, c. 36, s. 6;
- 1976-77, c. 55, s. 9.
- Date modified: