B.24.004 to B.24.014 [Repealed, SOR/2003-11, s. 22]
B.24.015 and B.24.016 [Repealed, SOR/88-559, s. 6]
B.24.017 (1) Where the manufacturer of a formulated liquid diet, a meal replacement or a food represented for use in a very low energy diet is requested in writing by the Director to submit, on or before a specified day, evidence with respect to that product, the manufacturer shall make no further sales of that product after that day unless the manufacturer has submitted the evidence requested.
(2) Where the Director is of the opinion that the evidence submitted by a manufacturer pursuant to subsection (1) is not sufficient, he shall so notify the manufacturer in writing.
(3) Where, pursuant to subsection (2), a manufacturer is notified that the evidence with respect to a formulated liquid diet, a meal replacement or a food represented for use in a very low energy diet is not sufficient, the manufacturer shall make no further sales of that product unless the manufacturer submits further evidence and is notified in writing by the Director that the further evidence is sufficient.
(4) A reference in this section to evidence with respect to a formulated liquid diet, a meal replacement or a food represented for use in a very low energy diet means evidence to establish that the food is nutritionally adequate to be used as the sole source of nutrition in meeting the nutritional needs of a person for whom it is intended, when the food is consumed in accordance with the directions for use.
- SOR/78-698, s. 6;
- SOR/94-35, s. 3.
B.24.018 It is prohibited to label, package, sell or advertise a food in a manner likely to create an impression that it is a gluten-free food if the food contains any gluten protein or modified gluten protein, including any gluten protein fraction, referred to in the definition gluten in subsection B.01.010.1(1).
- SOR/95-444, s. 2;
- SOR/2011-28, s. 6.
B.24.019 [Repealed, SOR/2003-11, s. 23]
Formulated Liquid Diets
B.24.100 No person shall advertise a formulated liquid diet to the general public.
- SOR/78-64, s. 7;
- SOR/78-698, s. 7.
B.24.101 No person shall sell a formulated liquid diet unless the food
(a) if sold ready to serve, or
(b) if not sold ready to serve, when diluted with water, milk, or water and milk,
is a complete substitute for the total diet in meeting the nutritional requirements of a person.
- SOR/78-64, s. 7.
(i) not less than 20 grams of protein of nutritional quality equivalent to casein, as determined by official method FO-1, Determination of Protein Rating, October 15, 1981, or
(ii) such an amount and quality of protein, including those proteins to which amino acids are added, that, when the quality of the protein is expressed as a fraction of the quality of casein,
(b) not less than one gram linoleic acid in the form of a glyceride.
(2) Notwithstanding sections D.01.009, D.01.011 and D.02.009, a formulated liquid diet shall contain, when ready to serve, the vitamins and minerals named in Column I of the table to this section in amounts,
(a) where the recommended intake of the food is 2,500 kilocalories per day or less, not less than the amounts set out in Column II and not more than the amounts, if any, set out in Column III of that table opposite those vitamins and minerals; and
(b) where the recommended intake of the food is greater than 2,500 kilocalories per day, not less than the amounts set out in Column IV and not more than the amounts, if any, set out in Column V of the table opposite those vitamins and minerals.
(3) The amounts of the nutrients specified in paragraphs (1)(a) and (b) and subsection (2) shall be calculated
(4) Paragraph (1)(a) does not apply to a formulated liquid diet represented as being for a protein restricted diet or a low (named amino acid) diet.
Column I Per 1,000 available kilocalories Per 1,500 available kilocalories Column II Column III Column IV Column V Vitamins Minimum Maximum Minimum Maximum Vitamin A 2,000 International Units 5,000 International Units 2,000 International Units 3,000 International Units Vitamin D 100 International Units 400 International Units 100 International Units 200 International Units Vitamin E (a-tocopherol) 5.0 International Units 5.0 International Units Ascorbic Acid 20 milligrams 20 milligrams Thiamine 0.5 milligram 0.6 milligram Riboflavin 0.7 milligram 0.84 milligram Niacin 6.6 milligrams 7.9 milligrams Vitamin B6 0.9 milligram 0.9 milligram Vitamin B12 1.5 micrograms 1.5 micrograms Folic Acid 100 micrograms 100 micrograms d-pantothenic Acid 2.5 milligrams 2.5 milligrams Mineral Nutrients Calcium 400 milligrams 400 milligrams Phosphorus 400 milligrams 400 milligrams Iron 8 milligrams 8 milligrams Iodine 50 micrograms 50 micrograms Magnesium 150 milligrams 150 milligrams Copper 1 milligram 1 milligram Zinc 7 milligrams 7 milligrams
- SOR/78-64, s. 7;
- SOR/78-698, s. 8;
- SOR/82-768, s. 75;
- SOR/87-640, s. 9(F);
- SOR/90-830, s. 6(F).
- Date modified: