Filing of Documents
19. (1) A document may be filed with the Registrar by
(a) hand delivery;
(b) mail or courier; or
(c) fax transmission or email, except in the case of a document that these Rules require to be bound.
(2) On receipt of a document, the Registrar may
(a) accept or reject the document for filing; or
(b) accept the document for filing subject to the making of any corrections or the fulfilling of any conditions precedent.
(2.1) to (2.3) [Repealed, SOR/2011-74, s. 7]
(3) A document that is filed by hand delivery, mail or courier is deemed to have been filed on the date of the Court’s filing stamp on that document, unless the Court, a judge or the Registrar otherwise orders.
(4) A document that is filed by fax transmission or email shall include a cover page in accordance with subrule 20(3) or the information set out in paragraphs 20(3.1)(a), (b), (d) and (e), as the case may be, and is deemed to have been filed on the day on which it is received unless it is received between 5:00 p.m. and 12:00 a.m. local time, or on a day that is a holiday, in which case it is deemed to have been filed the following day that is not a holiday.
(5) Within five business days after the day on which a document, other than correspondence referred to in subrule (7), is filed by fax transmission or email, the original and a copy of the document shall be filed by hand delivery, mail or courier.
(6) All documents filed, other than correspondence referred to in subrule (7), shall be served in accordance with Rule 20 on all parties unless these Rules provide otherwise or the Court, a judge or the Registrar otherwise orders.
(7) A copy of any correspondence between parties, or between a party and the Registrar, that has been filed shall be sent to all other parties by hand delivery, mail or courier to the last known address or, if the address for service of the recipient party includes a fax number or an email address, by fax transmission to the last known fax number or by email to the last known email address.
- SOR/2006-203, s. 2;
- SOR/2011-74, s. 7;
- SOR/2013-175, s. 11.
Filing of Sealed and Confidential Documents
19.1 (1) If it is filed, any document that is subject to a sealing or confidentiality order from a lower court or the Court or that is classified as confidential by legislation shall be sealed in an envelope and be accompanied by a covering letter and a copy of the sealing or confidentiality order or provision of the applicable legislation.
(2) If any of the following documents is filed, it shall be sealed in an envelope and accompanied by one redacted electronic version, if one is required under these Rules, and two redacted printed versions:
(a) a document containing a document that is subject to a sealing or confidentiality order from a lower court or the Court or that is classified as confidential by legislation;
(b) a document that reveals information that is subject to a sealing or confidentiality order from a lower court or the Court or that is classified as confidential by legislation; or
(c) a document that a party requires to be sealed.
(3) A document referred to in paragraph (2)(b) or (c) shall be accompanied by a motion to seal to the Registrar.
- SOR/2011-74, s. 8;
- SOR/2013-175, s. 13.
- Date modified: