PART 7Directors and Officers (continued)
General Provisions (continued)
Marginal note:Maximum term
84 Subject to section 86, no director may hold office for a single term of more than three years.
Marginal note:Vacancy on board
85 (1) Subject to subsection (3), if there is a vacancy on the board of directors, except a vacancy because of an increase in the number or the minimum or maximum number of directors provided for in the articles or because of a failure to elect or appoint the number or minimum number of directors provided for in the articles, and there is still a quorum on the board, the remaining directors may
Marginal note:Failure to appoint or elect minimum
(2) If, at the close of a meeting of a cooperative, the persons at the meeting have failed to appoint or elect the number or minimum number of directors required by this Act or the articles, the purported appointment or election of directors at the meeting
(a) is valid if the directors purported to be appointed or elected and the incumbent directors, if any, whose terms did not expire at the close of the meeting, together constitute a quorum; or
(b) is null or void if the directors purported to be appointed or elected and the incumbent directors, if any, whose terms did not expire at the close of the meeting, together do not constitute a quorum.
Marginal note:Special meeting
(3) The articles may provide that if there is a vacancy on the board of directors, the remaining directors must call a special meeting of the persons who are entitled to vote for the purpose of electing or appointing directors to fill the vacancy.
Marginal note:Absence of quorum
(4) If there is not a quorum of directors, the directors must, without delay, call a special meeting of the persons who are entitled to vote to fill the vacancy, and if they fail to do so, any person who is entitled to vote at a meeting of the cooperative may call the meeting.
Marginal note:Vacant board
(5) If the board of directors is vacant, any person who is entitled to vote at a meeting of the cooperative may call a special meeting to elect directors to fill the vacancies.
Marginal note:Deemed directors
(6) If all of the directors have resigned or been removed without replacement, a person who manages or supervises the management of the business and affairs of the cooperative is deemed to be a director for the purposes of this Act.
(7) Subsection (6) does not apply to
(a) an officer who manages the business or affairs of the cooperative under the direction or control of a member, shareholder or other person;
(b) a lawyer, notary, accountant or other professional who participates in the management of the cooperative solely for the purpose of providing professional services; or
(c) a trustee in bankruptcy, receiver, receiver-manager, sequestrator or secured creditor who participates in the management of the cooperative or exercises control over its property solely for the purpose of the realization of security or the administration of a bankrupt’s estate, in the case of a trustee in bankruptcy.
Marginal note:Class director
(8) Subject to subsection (3), if there is a vacancy in the position of a director who is to be elected by a class vote of either the members or the shareholders,
Marginal note:Unexpired term
(9) Unless the by-laws provide otherwise, a director who is elected or appointed to fill a vacancy holds office for the unexpired term of their predecessor in office.
- 1998, c. 1, s. 85
- 2001, c. 14, s. 161
- 2011, c. 21, s. 76(E)
Marginal note:Continuation in office
86 If the election of directors does not occur at the time fixed by this Act, the by-laws or a unanimous agreement, the directors then in office continue in office until their successors are elected.
Marginal note:Ceasing to hold office
Marginal note:Resignation date
(2) A resignation of a director becomes effective on the later of
Marginal note:Removal of directors
(2) The vacancy created by the removal of a director may be filled at the meeting at which the director was removed.
Marginal note:Resignation statement
Marginal note:Opposition statement
(2) A director who learns of
(a) a meeting of the cooperative called for the purpose of removing the director, or
(b) a meeting of the cooperative, or of the directors, at which another person is to be appointed or elected to succeed or replace the director,
is entitled to attend and address the meeting, or to submit a written statement to the cooperative, giving the reasons why the director opposes any proposed action or resolution at the meeting.
Marginal note:Circulation of statement
(3) When the cooperative receives a statement under subsection (1) or (2), it must ensure that a copy of it is sent without delay to the Director and to every person who is entitled to receive notice of the meeting.
Marginal note:Immunity for statement
(4) No cooperative or person acting on its behalf incurs any liability by reason only of circulating a director’s statement in compliance with subsection (3).
Marginal note:Right to attend meetings
90 A director is entitled to receive notice of, to attend and to be heard at every meeting of the cooperative.
Marginal note:Notice of change of director or director’s address
(a) a change is made among its directors, or
(b) it receives a notice of change of address of a director referred to in subsection (2),
send to the Director a notice, in the form that the Director fixes, setting out the change.
Marginal note:Director’s change of address
(2) A director must, within fifteen days after changing his or her address, send the cooperative a notice of that change.
Marginal note:Application to court
(3) Any interested person, or the Director, may apply to a court for an order to require a cooperative to comply with subsection (1), and the court may so order and make any further order it thinks fit.
- 1998, c. 1, s. 91
- 2001, c. 14, s. 162
Marginal note:Place of meetings
Marginal note:Notice of meeting
(2) Unless the by-laws provide otherwise, notice of the time and place of a meeting of directors must be given to every director by sending the notice not less than ten days before the date of the meeting to the latest address of the director as shown on the records of the cooperative.
Marginal note:Content of notice
93 Notice of a meeting of directors must specify the time and place of the meeting but need not specify the matter to be dealt with at the meeting, unless the matter is one listed in subsection 109(3).
- Date modified: