PART 4Registered Office and Records (continued)
Marginal note:Corporate seal
Marginal note:Validity of unsealed documents
(2) A document executed or, in Quebec, signed on behalf of a cooperative is not invalid merely because a corporate seal is not affixed to it.
- 1998, c. 1, s. 34
- 2011, c. 21, s. 75(E)
Conditions for Membership
Marginal note:By-laws govern
35 Subject to this Act and any provision in the articles, membership in a cooperative is governed by its by-laws.
Marginal note:Application for membership
(a) the person has applied for membership in writing;
(b) the application has been approved by the directors; and
(c) the person has complied with the membership provisions required by the by-laws, including subscribing for any minimum number of membership shares, paying any minimum amount on account of the subscription price of the shares or paying any minimum amount on account of a member loan.
Marginal note:Effective date of membership
(2) If all the conditions set out in subsection (1) have been met within six months after the date on which the cooperative receives the application for membership, the directors may make the admission of the member into membership effective as of the date of the application or as of any date after that date but before the end of the six months.
Marginal note:Right to vote
(2) If the by-laws provide that the voting rights of a member are vested in one or more delegates to be elected or appointed by the members, the delegates so elected or appointed may exercise all or any of those rights.
Marginal note:When delegation permitted by by-laws
(3) When in this Act reference is made to a meeting of members and the cooperative has a by-law providing for the appointment of delegates, a reference in this Act to a meeting of members is to be construed as a reference to a meeting of delegates.
Marginal note:Members under eighteen years of age
(2) The articles and by-laws of a cooperative, and any unanimous agreement, are binding on a member who is less than eighteen years of age.
Withdrawal from Membership
Marginal note:Withdrawal of membership
Marginal note:Written notice
(2) A member may withdraw from membership in a cooperative by written notice to the cooperative. Any such withdrawal is effective on the later of the date stated in the notice and the date on which the cooperative receives the notice.
Marginal note:Redemption of membership shares and repayment of amounts owing on withdrawal
(3) Subject to section 149, the cooperative must, no later than one year after the effective date of a notice of withdrawal, redeem all membership shares held by the withdrawing member at the redemption price determined in accordance with section 146 and repay to the member all member loans, all other amounts held to the member’s credit and all amounts outstanding on loans made to the cooperative by the member, together with any interest accrued on those amounts up to the date of the payment.
Marginal note:Redemption and repayment more than one year after withdrawal
(4) Despite subsection (3), if the directors determine that the redemption of membership shares, or the repayment of membership loans, of a withdrawing member would adversely affect the financial well-being of the cooperative, the directors may direct that the redemption and repayment referred to in subsection (3) take place after the end of the one year period.
Marginal note:Withdrawal not to have certain effects
(5) Unless the directors determine otherwise,
(a) the withdrawal of a member from the cooperative does not release the member from any debt or obligation to the cooperative or contract with the cooperative; and
(b) the cooperative need not, despite subsection (3), repay to the member amounts outstanding on loans made to the cooperative that have a fixed maturity date until that date has arrived.
Termination of Membership
Marginal note:Termination of membership by directors
40 (1) This section sets out the rights and procedures that apply to termination of membership. The by-laws of a cooperative may derogate from this section, but only in respect of the manner in which the membership of members may be terminated.
Marginal note:Special resolution of directors
(2) The directors may by special resolution order the termination of the membership of a member but, if the cooperative is in breach of section 149 — or if making the payment referred to in subsection (7) would put the cooperative in breach of section 149 — the termination is not effective until the cooperative is no longer in breach.
Marginal note:Written notice
(3) Not more than ten days after the date on which a special resolution is made, the secretary of the cooperative must give written notice to the member of the termination and the reasons for it. Subject to subsections (4) and (5), the effective date of the termination is the later of the date specified in the written notice and thirty days after the member receives the notice.
(4) A member whose membership has been terminated may appeal from the decision of the directors to the next meeting of members by giving written notice to the secretary of the member’s intention to appeal no later than thirty days after receiving notice of the special resolution.
Marginal note:Effect of notice of appeal
(5) If a member gives a notice of appeal, the effect of the special resolution is suspended until the vote of the members under subsection (6).
Marginal note:Resolution of members
(6) If a member appeals the termination of membership, a vote of members must be taken at the next meeting of members as to whether the member’s membership should be terminated as of the effective date referred to in subsection (3). The vote is by majority of the members present at the meeting, unless a greater proportion is specified in the articles, the by-laws or a unanimous agreement.
Marginal note:Effect of termination of membership
(7) Subject to section 149, if a member’s membership is terminated, a cooperative must, no later than one year after the date of the special resolution, redeem all membership shares held by the member at the redemption price determined in accordance with section 146, and repay to the member all member loans and all other amounts held to the member’s credit and all amounts outstanding on loans made to the cooperative by the member, together with any interest accrued on those amounts up to the date of the payment.
Marginal note:Termination of membership not to have certain effects
(8) Unless the directors determine otherwise, the termination of the membership of a member does not release the member from any debt or obligation to the cooperative or contract with the cooperative.
Marginal note:If address of member unknown
(9) If the address of a member whose membership has been terminated by the directors is unknown to the cooperative after all reasonable efforts have been made to ascertain it and two years have elapsed since the effective date referred to in subsection (3), the cooperative must transfer all amounts owing under subsection (7) to a reserve fund, but those amounts do not, despite subsection (7), include any interest that would have accrued after the end of the two years.
Marginal note:Amounts paid to entitled persons
(10) If any amounts are transferred to a reserve fund under subsection (9), the cooperative must pay those amounts to any person who, no later than ten years after the transfer, shows evidence of entitlement satisfactory to the cooperative. If no person appears to show that evidence within the ten years, the amounts become the property of the cooperative.
Marginal note:Limitation on by-law
41 No by-law governing the withdrawal of a member from membership or the termination of the membership of a member may authorize a redemption of membership shares or member loans in contravention of section 149.
Termination of Membership by Members
Marginal note:Termination by members
42 Unless the by-laws provide otherwise, the membership of a member may be terminated by a special resolution of the members. Section 40 applies, with any modifications that the circumstances require, to a termination by the members.
Marginal note:Termination of inactive membership
Marginal note:Provisions not to apply
(2) Section 40, other than subsections 40(7) to (10), does not apply to a termination under this section.
- Date modified: