PART 2Industrial Greenhouse Gas Emissions
169 The following definitions apply in this Part.
analyst means an individual or a member of a class of individuals designated as an analyst under subsection 201(1). (analyste)
- compliance period
compliance period means a period specified in the regulations. (période de conformité)
- compliance unit
compliance unit means a surplus credit that is issued under section 175 or paragraph 178(1)(b), a unit or credit that is recognized under the regulations as a compliance unit or an offset credit that is issued under the regulations. (unité de conformité)
- covered facility
covered facility means a facility, including a platform anchored at sea, that is located in a province or area that is set out in Part 2 of Schedule 1 and either
- enforcement officer
enforcement officer means an individual or a member of a class of individuals designated as an enforcement officer under subsection 201(1). (agent de l’autorité)
- greenhouse gas
greenhouse gas means a gas that is set out in column 1 of Schedule 3. (gaz à effet de serre)
- increased-rate compensation deadline
increased-rate compensation deadline means, in respect of a compliance period, the increased-rate compensation deadline specified for that period in the regulations. (délai de compensation à taux élevé)
- Indigenous peoples of Canada
Indigenous peoples of Canada has the meaning assigned by the definition aboriginal peoples of Canada in subsection 35(2) of the Constitution Act, 1982. (peuples autochtones du Canada)
Minister means the Minister of the Environment. (ministre)
organization has the same meaning as in section 2 of the Criminal Code. (organisation)
person means an individual or organization and includes Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province. (personne)
- regular-rate compensation deadline
regular-rate compensation deadline means, in respect of a compliance period, the regular-rate compensation deadline specified for that period in the regulations. (délai de compensation à taux régulier)
Marginal note:Conversion into CO2e tonnes
170 For the purposes of this Part, a quantity of a greenhouse gas, expressed in tonnes, is converted into carbon dioxide equivalent tonnes (in this Part referred to as “CO2e tonnes”) by multiplying that quantity by the global warming potential set out for the greenhouse gas in column 2 of Schedule 3.
DIVISION 1Pricing Mechanism for Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Registration of Covered Facilities
Marginal note:Application for registration
171 (1) A person that is responsible for a covered facility must apply to the Minister for registration of that covered facility. The application must include the information specified by the Minister and be made in the time and manner specified by the Minister.
(2) If the Minister is satisfied that the applicant is a person responsible for the facility named in the application, that the facility is a covered facility and that the application meets the requirements of subsection (1), the Minister must register the covered facility and issue a covered facility certificate to the applicant.
(3) The Minister must cancel the registration and the covered facility certificate of a facility that ceases to be a covered facility or that was not a covered facility at the time of registration.
Marginal note:Notice setting out criteria
(4) If a notice referred to in subsection 194(1) sets out criteria respecting facilities and persons, a facility that meets the criteria is, for the purposes of this section, a covered facility as defined in section 169 and a person that meets the criteria is, for the purposes of this section, a person responsible for the facility.
Marginal note:Notice cancelled
(5) If a facility is registered as a result of the publication of a notice referred to in subsection 194(1) and that notice is cancelled before any regulations or orders referred to in it are made, the Minister must cancel the facility’s registration and covered facility certificate.
Marginal note:Designation of facility as covered facility
172 (1) On request by a person that is responsible for a facility that is located in a province or area that is set out in Part 2 of Schedule 1, the Minister may, in accordance with the regulations, designate the facility as a covered facility. The request must include the information specified by the Minister and be made in the time and manner specified by the Minister.
Marginal note:Application for registration
(2) If the Minister designates a facility as a covered facility, the request under subsection (1) is deemed to be an application for registration under subsection 171(1) and the Minister must register the covered facility.
Marginal note:Cancellation of designation
(3) The Minister may, in accordance with the regulations, cancel the designation of a covered facility.
Reporting, Compensation and Compliance Units
Marginal note:Reporting requirement
173 For each compliance period, a person that is responsible for a covered facility must, in accordance with the regulations,
(a) submit to the Minister a report that sets out the information that is specified in the regulations with respect to the greenhouse gas emissions limit that applies to the covered facility and any other information that is specified in the regulations; and
(b) cause the report to be verified by a third party.
Marginal note:Compensation for excess emissions
174 (1) A person that is responsible for a covered facility that emits greenhouse gases in a quantity that exceeds the emissions limit that applies to the covered facility during a compliance period must, in accordance with the regulations, provide compensation for the excess emissions by the increased-rate compensation deadline.
Marginal note:Provision of compensation
(2) The compensation is to be provided, at a rate set out in subsection (3) or (4), by means of
Marginal note:Regular rate
(3) If the compensation is provided by the regular-rate compensation deadline, the rate is
Marginal note:Increased rate
(4) If the compensation is not provided in full by the regular-rate compensation deadline, the rate for each CO2e tonne that was emitted in excess of the emissions limit and for which no compensation was provided by that deadline is four times the rate set out in subsection (3).
Marginal note:Charge continued
(5) If the compliance period falls in a year that is subsequent to the last calendar year set out in column 1 of Schedule 4, the excess emissions charge set out in column 2 for that last calendar year continues to apply for the purposes of paragraph (3)(b).
Marginal note:Issuance of surplus credits
175 If a covered facility emits greenhouse gases in a quantity that is below the emissions limit that applies to it during a compliance period, the Minister must, in accordance with the regulations, issue to a person that is responsible for the covered facility a number of surplus credits that is equal to the difference between that limit, expressed in CO2e tonnes, and the number of CO2e tonnes emitted.
Marginal note:Errors and omissions
176 (1) If, within five years after submitting a report under section 173, a person that is responsible for a covered facility becomes aware of an error or omission in the report, the person must notify the Minister in writing as soon as possible.
Marginal note:Corrected report
(2) If required by the regulations, the person must, in accordance with the regulations,
- Date modified: