PART IIndustrial Relations (continued)
DIVISION IIIAcquisition and Termination of Bargaining Rights (continued)
Certification of Bargaining Agents and Related Matters (continued)
Marginal note:Conduct of vote
(a) determine the employees that are eligible to vote; and
(b) make such arrangements and give such directions as the Board considers necessary for the proper conduct of the representation vote, including the preparation of ballots, the method of casting and counting ballots and the custody and sealing of ballot boxes.
(2) Where the Board orders that a representation vote be taken on an application by a trade union for certification as the bargaining agent for a unit in respect of which no other trade union is the bargaining agent, the Board shall include on the ballots a choice whereby an employee may indicate that they do not wish to be represented by any trade union named on the ballots.
(3) Notwithstanding subsection (2), where the employees in a unit have cast ballots in favour of all trade unions involved in a representation vote totalling more than fifty per cent of all the ballots cast but have not given majority support to one trade union in that vote and, as a result, a second or subsequent representation vote is required, the Board shall not be required to include the choice referred to in subsection (2) in the ballots for the second or subsequent vote.
- R.S., 1985, c. L-2, s. 30
- 1998, c. 26, s. 14(F)
- 1999, c. 31, s. 150(E)
Marginal note:Result of representation vote
(2) Where, on considering the result of a representation vote, the Board determines that less than thirty-five per cent of the employees who are eligible to vote have voted, the Board shall determine that the representation vote is void.
(3) A vote by the majority of the employees voting in a representation vote is evidence that a majority of employees in the unit in respect of which the vote was ordered are of the opinion expressed in the vote of the majority of employees voting.
- R.S., c. L-1, s. 129
- 1972, c. 18, s. 1
Marginal note:Council of trade unions
32 (1) Where two or more trade unions have formed a council of trade unions, the council so formed may apply to the Board for certification as the bargaining agent for a unit in the same manner as a trade union.
Marginal note:Certification of council of trade unions
(2) The Board may certify a council of trade unions as the bargaining agent for a bargaining unit where the Board is satisfied that the requirements for certification prescribed by or pursuant to this Part have been met.
Marginal note:Membership in council of trade unions
(3) Membership in any trade union that forms part of a council of trade unions is deemed to be membership in the council of trade unions.
Marginal note:Council of trade unions bound by collective agreement
(4) Where a council of trade unions is certified by the Board as the bargaining agent for a bargaining unit,
(a) the council of trade unions and each trade union forming the council of trade unions is bound by any collective agreement entered into by the council of trade unions and the employer concerned; and
(b) this Part applies, except as otherwise provided, as if the council of trade unions were a trade union.
- R.S., c. L-1, s. 130
- 1972, c. 18, s. 1
- 1977-78, c. 27, s. 48
Marginal note:Designation of employers’ organization
33 (1) Where a trade union applies for certification as the bargaining agent for a unit comprised of employees of two or more employers who have formed an employers’ organization, the Board may designate the employers’ organization to be the employer if it is satisfied that each of the employers forming the employers’ organization has granted appropriate authority to the employers’ organization to enable it to discharge the duties and responsibilities of an employer under this Part.
Marginal note:New members
(1.1) The Board may, on application by the employers’ organization, include in the designation referred to in subsection (1) any employer that becomes a member of the employers’ organization if it is satisfied that that employer has granted appropriate authority to the employers’ organization to enable the employers’ organization to discharge the duties and responsibilities of an employer and that such an inclusion would ensure the fulfilment of the objectives of this Part.
Marginal note:Designated employers’ organization deemed to be employer
(2) Where the Board designates an employers’ organization as an employer pursuant to subsection (1),
(a) the employers’ organization and each employer forming the employers’ organization is bound by any collective agreement entered into by the employers’ organization and the trade union concerned; and
(b) this Part applies, except as otherwise provided, as if the employers’ organization were an employer.
Marginal note:Employer ceasing to be member of employers’ organization
(3) Where an employer ceases to be a member of an employers’ organization or withdraws the authority referred to in subsection (1) or (1.1) that the employer granted to the employers’ organization, the employer
- R.S., 1985, c. L-2, s. 33
- 1998, c. 26, s. 15
- 1999, c. 31, s. 151(E)
Marginal note:Certification in long-shoring and other industries
(a) the long-shoring industry, or
(b) such other industry in such geographic area as may be designated by regulation of the Governor in Council on the recommendation of the Board,
the Board may determine that the employees of two or more employers actively engaged in the industry in the geographic area constitute a unit appropriate for collective bargaining and may, subject to this Part, certify a trade union as the bargaining agent for the unit.
Marginal note:Recommendation of Board
(2) No recommendation under paragraph (1)(b) shall be made by the Board unless, on inquiry, it is satisfied that the employers actively engaged in an industry in a particular geographic area obtain their employees from a group of employees the members of which are employed from time to time by some or all of those employers.
(3) Where the Board, pursuant to subsection (1), certifies a trade union as the bargaining agent for a bargaining unit, the Board shall, by order,
Marginal note:Powers of Board
(4) Where the employers fail to comply with an order made under paragraph (3)(a), the Board shall, after affording to the employers a reasonable opportunity to make representations, by order, appoint an employer representative of its own choosing.
Marginal note:New representative
(4.1) On application by one or more employers of employees in the bargaining unit, the Board may, if it is satisfied that the employer representative is no longer qualified to act in that capacity, revoke the appointment of the employer representative and appoint a new representative.
Marginal note:Status of employer representative
(5) An employer representative shall be deemed to be an employer for the purposes of this Part and, by virtue of having been appointed under this section, has the power to, and shall, discharge all the duties and responsibilities of an employer under this Part on behalf of all the employers of the employees in the bargaining unit, including the power to enter into a collective agreement on behalf of those employers.
(5.1) The employer representative may require each employer of employees in the bargaining unit to remit its share of the costs that the employer representative has incurred or estimates will be incurred in fulfilling its duties and responsibilities under this Part and under the terms of the collective agreement.
Marginal note:Duty of employer representative
(6) In the discharge of the duties and responsibilities of an employer under this Part, an employer representative, or a person acting for such a representative, shall not act in a manner that is arbitrary, discriminatory or in bad faith in the representation of any of the employers on whose behalf the representative acts.
Marginal note:Board to determine questions
(7) The Board shall determine any question that arises under this section, including any question relating to the choice or appointment of the employer representative.
- R.S., 1985, c. L-2, s. 34
- 1991, c. 39, s. 1
- 1998, c. 26, s. 16
- Date modified: