Criminal Code (R.S.C., 1985, c. C-46)
- HTMLFull Document: Criminal Code (Accessibility Buttons available) |
- XMLFull Document: Criminal Code [4898 KB] |
- PDFFull Document: Criminal Code [7427 KB]
Act current to 2023-05-17 and last amended on 2023-01-16. Previous Versions
Marginal note:Making of probation order
731 (1) Where a person is convicted of an offence, a court may, having regard to the age and character of the offender, the nature of the offence and the circumstances surrounding its commission,
(a) if no minimum punishment is prescribed by law, suspend the passing of sentence and direct that the offender be released on the conditions prescribed in a probation order; or
(b) in addition to fining or sentencing the offender to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, direct that the offender comply with the conditions prescribed in a probation order.
(2) A court may also make a probation order where it discharges an accused under subsection 730(1).
(3.1) [Repealed, 1997, c. 17, s. 1]
- R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 731
- 1992, c. 1, s. 58, c. 20, s. 200
- 1995, c. 22, s. 6
- 1997, c. 17, s. 1
- Date modified: