Criminal Code (R.S.C., 1985, c. C-46)
- HTMLFull Document: Criminal Code (Accessibility Buttons available) |
- XMLFull Document: Criminal Code [4897 KB] |
- PDFFull Document: Criminal Code [7412 KB]
Act current to 2023-03-20 and last amended on 2023-01-16. Previous Versions
Marginal note:General penalty
787 (1) Unless otherwise provided by law, every person who is convicted of an offence punishable on summary conviction is liable to a fine of not more than $5,000 or to a term of imprisonment of not more than two years less a day, or to both.
Marginal note:Imprisonment in default if not otherwise specified
(2) If the imposition of a fine or the making of an order for the payment of money is authorized by law, but the law does not provide that imprisonment may be imposed in default of payment of the fine or compliance with the order, the court may order that in default of payment of the fine or compliance with the order, as the case may be, the defendant shall be imprisoned for a term of not more than two years less a day.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 787
- R.S., 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 171
- 2008, c. 18, s. 44
- 2019, c. 25, s. 316
- Date modified: